80100 direct cooling

that’s what i did on my first prototype too:

just make sure you cover all the way like the example you found, if you go only halfway like me it makes the board a bit unstable…

I am 120% with you. Building a efoil will cost you a minimum of 1000-1300€ (2/3 for the battery). If you can make a foil versatile enough without damaging its integrity, it is a huge saving and satisfaction.Then there is the aesthetic aspect that comes into consideration.
What is nice is that you already have a set of front wings. Which front wing sizes do you have ? Easy or 1200 ? Free Ride ? Wave ?
Looking at the picture, you obviously know @Gobbla 's work (from Lyon) who has done an awsome work.

Hy Guys,

I’m waiting my products but I still need to supply a couple of stuff.

1. Electronics for monitoring. I have seen somewhere , maybe Mat’s post or maybe somewhere else some particular component : To check Battery, To Buzz when Hot , To records (For sure by Mat)… But checking all files and docs from Mat’s I couldn’t find what you have used for your build. Could you share again with some basic explanation.
    I google on AliExpress, some Lipo balance sensor, lipo alarms buzzer But I couldn’t find my happyness.

2. Second point is about connection for 8AWG cable. I’m looking for a way to easyli connect cables together. Best appraoch to be able to disconnect it easily as well and waterproof of course.

Some people are using ““Domino”” connector under "Plastic, some use directly Soldering + thermal plastic., Other use Clamp tool kit with a kind of Gear in between to do the clamp. Have you any feedback on this.

If you have any feedback or advice I’m all listening !
Benj

The 3d mounting files and prop. In what kind of material should we print it ? Pla? I have done this before.

PLA might not last very long exposed to the sun…
for all my parts I made them in ASA, it’s supposed to be better to use outdoor.
I did one prop in PLA but covered in carbon fiber and it was ok, the second prop I printed was ASA used as is.

True, August 2018 my PLA motor pod exploded in my car under the sun

I know Its here somewhere but I can remember where.
Do you have this data.
Watts used at full speed out of water with no prop.
Watts used at full speed in water with no prop.
I trying to under stand how much power is used to cool the motor this way.

I’m not sure where it was… I’ll have to check.
In air, I should be able to do the tests in a couple days, I’m in the middle of servicing the motor pod, a bit of rust to deal with :slight_smile:

Has anyone tried 3D printing prop with a carbon fibre filament?

It might solve the blade throwing problem. Other than the filament you just need to change the printer nozzle from brass to a hardened metal one.

Depending on the way the prop is printed, i.e. with a high perimeter shell count, the fibre strands should be in the right direction to provide excellent tensile strength?

2 Likes

Hi
Check on google / youtube. I have seen a guy making comparison with different propeller for his boat engine.
With 3D printing and different filament, basic one, wood model, abs, etc… I don’t remember all details, but some filament were quite good in mecanical constraints and some other just boulshit like PLA.

If I found it back I will share !

Keep in Touch.
Benj

In order to provide the outrunner threads (80100, 63100, …) with objective facts, could you post some picts of the parts that rusted to find out whether 316 SS (A4) would have been more appropriate (or not) ?

it’s the magnets as usual all the rest is perfectly ok… i’ve been too lazy to spin the rotor to put a layer of epoxy… once it’s cleaned up, i think i’ll do it this time… :slight_smile:

So i cleaned up my magnets, and finally tried epoxy…
I printed 2 rings to block the epoxy on each side, and used some clay to “waterproof” them.

As i don’t have a lathe, i used my drill press on the lowest speed and it kind of felt safe… mostly :slight_smile:

I used fast epoxy, with some accelerator in it, and it mostly hardened before the drill press go too hot …

I lightly sanded the inside, install the shaft back and insert the stator… to get it badly stuck … too much epoxy :frowning:
long story short, with no way to machine the inside to the right diameter, after a couple try sanding the inside, i ended up reaching the magnets… removed the epoxy and went back to spray coating…

but on the way i had to get the stator unstuck… and that helped:

6 Likes

Would it be bad that the magnets will have a thin layer of rust?

I followed your steps and it is all working well. I now have a aluminium prop 7,1/4 X 5. I believe one of those cheap banggood props. Would that work well? Or is a 3d printed better more efficiënt?

I’m afraid the rust won’t stop at a thin layer, instead it will eat through the magnets…
you prop will work for sure…i didn’t check the 5 inch pitch, but the 3d printed was more efficient than the solas with 6in pitch…

There is a small gap between stator and rotor. If we use epoxy and wait untill it gets thick and add a small layer with a brush to the magnets. Keep brushing till it gets hard. If it is too thick somewhere it will file away when spinning the motor. I will try that I think.

You or someone else wrote something to make the diameter smaller of the propeller. Is there a trick for this without a lathe? Just cutting of the blades?

be careful, if there is too much epoxy on top of the magnets, the stator can get stuck and be a pain to get out :slight_smile:

i think the only alu prop is saw that got smaller was done with a lathe… but don’t worry, even with the full prop it’ll work :slight_smile:

I bought the motor from a forum member here. As a 80kv motor but it looks like it is a 130kv:(

Anyway. I did some testing with 5 pitch alu prop. Great power. At 30 timing no sync issues. Immediately Full throttle not possible. Building up power to full throttle there is not enough water to try. I peaked 194A at about 54 volt.

I have the 500A flier ESC. It is 3 times the size of the 400A
It looks i will fly 100 kmh :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I used a WAM silicone turbo hose to fill magnet. Fit the hose then just pour epoxy in the gap. It worked quite well, I just had to sand a bit to have it nice and clean

3 Likes

An item that many people here were thinking/dreaming about to ease the task. There are some on eBay but would you have a link ?