Break down the DIY process for a total newbie? Clueless where to start

This is also helpful, and I know you mentioned that less spot welding. It’s good to know I have other options that will keep the cost down. I guess I’ll shop the options and see what makes sense.

50 min. sounds good. You happen to know what average speed gets you 50 min? Or what your max speed typically is?

I just keep hearing that the Flipsky prop is garbage. I have never actually used Flipsky prop. I have only used the Fliteboard prop and it’s excellent. Smooth and silent… and only $45. It works very well with the Flipsky 65161 - 120KV. My max speed is around 20mph at 80% throttle. I have never gone over 80% throttle. At 20mph+ over choppy water things get a little scary. I hit a big fish or something at 20mph and the board launched me 15 feet into the air, the foil sliced my leg open, had to apply a turnicate (zip tie) call 911 and get stitched up on the dock, lost lot’s of blood. So speed runs don’t end well. My average cruising speed is around 12-13mph. This is the butter zone and I have the most fun at this (safe) speed.

Probably best to just buy one.

I was suggesting you cut your teeth on a small battery (for something else…) before jumping right into a massive efoil battery. Don’t try and connect a bunch of small batteries for an efoil. Well, I did read about a guy on here who uses drill batteries connected in series…

Anyway, it’s dangerous for a “total newbie” to connect up 196 cells for a first try. Smells like fire to me, unless you have some experience building batteries.

Wow, hate that this happened to you. Glad it wasn’t worse. I’m suddenly feeling inspired to add this to my wish list.

That was with max 33km/h and average 23km/h, so slow. Here is a metr log from another session that last 38min with an average speed of 26km/h Apr 11, 2022 - metr.at | o79Vf

https://youtu.be/S_GW5gZ88s8 Thanks for asking Emenel! My oldest son (19) recorded this yesterday (in Michigan, USA). I need to work on the fuselage placement as the main wing seems to be a bit far forward. I moved it back an inch and had really good results with a reduction in porpising. Water was extremely cold and my muscles refused to let me stay in the water any longer (put in the docks with wetsuit in AM, but later in the day I couldn’t get my wetsuit back on due to being wet and I am fat now).
Also your Gong equipment looks fantastic! I will definitely go with the Allvator v2 for my upcoming winter build in 6 months from now. I saved a ton of money by printing my own main fin, and using Crazyfoil for everything I could up to this point, so hope to learn a bunch more this summer with tweaking what I have. Overall, a very successful project so far.

@tritodd It’s alive! Haha, I love it man, looks fun. Were you able to stand up and fly a little bit? I agree with you, looks like a very successful build, especially for a first try. Need to see more videos from Michigan soon, hopefully the water will warm up a little.

P.S. wet suits are notoriously hard to get on, no shame!

Hi everyone, got another package today—120 Molicel batteries, 42A 21700. I know how expensive batteries are now. Sooooo there’s that. Fish tape is also here, waiting on nickel strips. Next step is figuring out the battery build. Off to YouTube. Once I start that I think I’ll post a thread in builds.

Shoot me any immediate battery advice or links, if you’ve got 'em. I was reading somewhere about cell-level fuses instead of just one for the whole battery. Particularly interested in exploring that if anyone has done it.

2 Likes

You can get one of these spot welders for affordable options.

Both are the great options.

1 Like

Hey, also in Canada, Victoria, where are you located? We d love to connect with people doing projects with thrusters, I’m going to convert an 18’ aluminum boat with a few soon.