Building an 18650 battery with individual cell fuse wires

Passed test!

Charged to 4.2v 150mah cutoff
Discharged to 2.5v at constant 10A

Capacity at 10A discharge rate 2.885Ah
Max temp 57.4°C

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung%20INR18650-30Q%203000mAh%20(Pink)%20UK.html

2 Likes

4 Likes

This is 7s28p configuration?

Depending of soldering , it can be 2x 7s14p , but in the case I will switch the first 7rows to get the wires shorter if plug in series after …

Other wise this would be really really heavy battery if 14s is needed with 2 of them :sweat_smile:

It will be two 7s14p groups.

That way I can balance charge them with commonly available 8s hobby chargers. They will be wired in series to power the e-foil board as one 14s14p battery.

Stay tuned. More updates to follow.

:beers::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Happy owner since today.

Thanks to Jan for using his Spotwelder. Now need to build a nice enclosure.

2 Likes

Looking good! What are you planning for an enclosure? What is this? 12s15p? You gonna do a BMS?

12s15p…
Why not 12a16p??? :thinking::joy:

Nice job. I hope you have a good solution for the terminal wires?

Yes 12/15. I planned to make a nice housing from HPL Board. But just figured out that it will not fit with housing. Collision wit the front latch of my lid​:scream::scream::scream::cry:

So for now it will be only shrinking

Terminal wires are 8mm2. With 150A connectors

1 Like

Sucks when you build I and I doesn’t fit. Hopefully you can find a solution. Are you planning on a BMS?

I’m on the process of building 2 VTC6 packs, had the cells from Nkon but I still waiting to receive the stupid Lipo to power up my Arduino spot welder…
I’m facing the same drama: 2x 6s 14p can barely fit my housing if gluing the cells alternated with no plastic spacers, I when hot gluing rows of14 cell I kept a minimum clearance cell to cell, the glue help. The problem is that I can’t fit the spacers.
30A rated cell in 14p setup gives me some peace of mind, I always fuse my efoil with 90-100A max, right after the batteries, Tesla system looks good but I don’t want to touch cells with a solder iron. I do solder and I’m not so convinced that you could do an hot solder in less than 3 seconds on a 18650, and if so, it wants a very hot iron and lots of solder…

You can spot weld fuse wire. But it is difficult to do until you master the technique. I have no experience with spot-welding.

Which size/type/gauge of wire do you suggest for 10-15A? VTC6 are rated up to 30A, so at least 10A fuse is necessary (140A max current at 14s)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0AXONC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M0AXONC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

1 Like

Search for spot weld fuse wire on YouTube. A number of videos showing how to do it.

2 Likes

PLEASE USE SAFTY GALSSES WHILE WELDING! I recommend to have a bag of sand, li-ion cells doesn’t require oxygen to ignite or create enough heat to ignite sounding material

I had a couple of short cut with 18650 , the cell will heat up very fast and de-gas through the top ( between the + and the - ring ) always add time to take it away , no fire so far …
With time fuse will become weaker and weaker , 20awg is used on eSkate …
Read the manufacter spec , short cut cell discharge around 150-200A

Here is the 30q safety test

Not found the vtc6

But the 30q gives 138A , so I guess fuse should blow before but not too fin to keep good contact, 30awg looks to weak to me

I do not understand why you want to use the fuse on every cell. This is a bottle neck for your current. I do not know about Sony, but I assume they have same safety standard as Samsung. Even a shortcut of the cell will not resume in any fire or explosion. The cell will heat up to something between 60 and 100C and then it is dead.