Critique this concept build: surfjet

Really the biggest issue is 2.4ghz remote and wanting to paddle with remote in hand. Loses connection underwater.

I’m struggling to not add more battery and bigger motor on next build because it’s just so fun

I saw the video, it seems like your setup is pushing you quite well, about losing signal, have you tried extending your antenna?
I used to lose signal immediately, even when my transmitter was halfway submerged, my jetboard was very heavy so I ended up using it as a body board for lakes, no waves, so I rarely had to paddle, of course I know that in the ocean it’s a different story, I used an impulse-sealer to make a custom vinyl waterproof cover, long story short, try to reach the antenna and solder an extension wire that goes towards the nose of your board.

in rushing to get the prototype board built, I had the antenna cable and esc box glassed on. The antenna cable runs out of the waterproof/passively water-cooled esc case which is at my bellybutton when paddling. Unfortunately it runs a short distance toward the back of the board and it runs along the stringer (usually submerged). For some reason I wasn’t considering how water might block 2.4ghz. :triumph:

i just went down a rabbit hole of researching whats needed to build my own 433hmz remote tx and rx using arduinos.

the other option is just building a button that I glass onto the board, you hit it with your hand or foot and it gives you 5 seconds of boost: 30% for 1 sec and then 90% for 4 (or something like that).

A better video showing the board accelerating: https://youtu.be/TQ5gYM8DR48

2 Likes

Good acceleration ! Assume You don’t want to have a wired throttle? Will try to use a wired one on my project e surfboard, hall sensor thumb throtle + servo tester for signal to ESC. Not yet sure how to water proof the throttle though.

i’ve decided to glass 2 waterproof buttons on the deck, probably wired to an arduino and onward to esc. first to give ~5s of boost, and the second to hold for cruising

1 Like

Ok, sound like a good solution for your application.

I share your stoke! looks awesome also the jets! Ended up being here because i’m also looking at the kedean jets. do you recommend these jets / esc? im building hydrofoil with this and am scared because the specs say waterproof untill 90cm…

gr from Holland!