Firduo 65162 + good price

I have a barrel filled with water for the tweaking, bathtub should also do if you’ve got one😄

Indeed I have one IBC container laying around in the garden but how good does it simulates a steady water flow when everything is bubbling around… not sure. Anyway I’m at the point where I think the toilet bowl would be the most suitable place for that piece of crap of electronics right now​:exploding_head:. Hopefully there will be a good windy session soon that doesn’t require any computer to have some fun. Well until I start complaining about unstable the wind is I suppose :sob:

You’ll see if the controller can drive full current and tweak settings if it can’t so it definitely could be helpful.

You might also get some help if you post the identified motor parameters here so people can help to verify if they’re good.

Hello again. I did run some test dry and I’m not able to get consistent motor detection anymore.
Below the first detection using medium inrunner and then the 2 other ones using large inrunner. this is on fw 6.02 and phase filter off.
I have the feeling that something is dying somewhere slowly. Motor is making more and more weird sounds and I’m not able to run it without cogging no matter if I re load the profile i used on the previous days that was at least spinning the motor. I tried several other firmware withtout any succesful results. Cannot measure flux linkage anymore either and several time the motor detection would fail because of not being able to measure this flux linkage on FW 5.02
Can it be some loose wire inside the motor causing the pb? or do I simply got a bad unit? did I manage to kill the motor or controller? is it worth opening the motor or is it best to chuck everything in the bin and get myself a combo motor/controller that is known to be reliable. in which case which supplier would you recommend?

Something is wrong, that’s obvious but it isn’t the esc motor combo in general, i have the same and it works well.

Could be something like a faulty esc, short circuit in motor or a poor connection somewhere in the system. Are the motor phase connections soldered properly or is it still a test setup? Are there any signs of cable damage along the motor phases?

short circuit inside motor: does the motor cog badly when not connected to esc with more resistance at higher speed? (it cogs quite a lot normally)

Is there more resistance turning the motor while esc is connected and not on than when motor is disconnected from esc? (mosfet control is then not ok, esc is busted)

Motor flux linkage is always zero in the pics, this can’t be correct. I wonder if someone has seen it before, SW might be screwed up?
Do you have the original settings and firmware to revert to? google flux linkage error and VESC and you’ll find some threads on the eskate and vesc sites

Indeed been going through all the threads I could find about the flux linkage problem and the fix relative to FW 6.02. It doesn’t help. I tested the motor disconnected from the esc and I get in between each phase a minimum resistance that is identical to all combinations. Resistance test with ground shows open circuit. I think there is nothing wrong with the motor and that I certainly fried the ESC when I ran some test at the beach using the BT app. I think I did a motor detection at some point and reset all parameters hence turning phase filtering back on. I tried downgrading the firmware using the archive tool and no luck either. Not being able to get a steady repeat of the datas using same settings and same conditions from one try to the other really hints towards a hardware problem. I cannot manage anymore to get the motor spinning at detection with the same values as before that try on the beach. At detection it is noisier than usual and instead of spinning fwd or reverse in a continuous motion it keeps alternate fwd reverse rapidly and makes terrible sound. Foc_openloop 50 1000 can’t get it to spin either. Well I think I’m good to buy another ESC. Always good anyway to have spare. The only positive side is that I’m getting more familiar with VESC tool now :exploding_head: and the zillions options to choose from start to make sense. Any ESC one would suggest that is really good quality and that would run the 65162 the best?

If the motor stutters and changes direction it could be one motor phase that is either not connected properly or the FETs of a phase are burnt.

Ok It seems I at least do have a short on one of the phase. I spinned the motor with a drill a when I short manually 2 of the leads I get same resistance as when no leads are shorted. On the other 2 I get more resistance when shorted. Looks like I’m good to open the motor since I cannot see any short visually on the outside… I hope this didn’t damage the ESC too

That’s great news - in a way😄
as soon as you know the issue it’s possible to fix!

Bad news looks like at least one coil has burnt all the way…
What do you think guys is it worth opening it further? when data sheet says 120a max continuous :woozy_face: well it really means 120 amps… been pushing it too much I think on the vesc settings. Lesson learnt the hard way as usual.

Sorry for the loss, at least you know why it’s not turning as expected.
I think your mast construction that covers 2/3rds of the motor is not ideal, it prevents direct water cooling of the motor which is essential for our application near the max power specs. Could be the reason it burnt the windings.

2 Likes

Yes possible it didn’t help. I have a spare liquid force mast I’ll use for the next build that is long enough so I can have the motor above the fuselage in a more conventional way. Will also drill and route the leads inside the mast and skip the whole 3d printing mast sleeve. Goal reduce drag reduce drag reduce drag… and maybe drop a few kilos for the rider :slight_smile:
I’m really tempted to go the outrunner way also for the next build instead. Gain of weight, easier heat dissipation and gain of motor length. Easier mount of folding propeller. Is there a reason why I should prefer inrunner again? Any good suggestion on outrunner since hopefully the ESC is still good and I’ll be reusing this FD75200?

63100 from APS works well for me. Only con is you need to treat it with epoxy and change the bearings with stainless. If you run it in a lake, maintenance once a year is enough. In saltwater you probably need more maintenance.

I red larsb mentioned noise as a nuisance for outrunners. Indeed too noisy would be a pleasure killer. What’s your experience on that point? Thanks anyway for all your valuable comments.

Noise is not too bad, geared was louder.

For me the noise is too bad :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

There’s a risk of killing outrunner motors by cavitation inside motor, had it on two 80100 where the windings were eroded until they broke and caused a short circuit. These were epoxy treated as they should be.

Saite 63100 from Alien Power Systems, has 1300km, changed bearings and recoated twice. Still works fine, I use itmainly in fresh water.