FOILDRIVE Gen2 review

Mike could provide invaluable assistance to the community by telling how the antenna works.

1 Like

Inserting pieces of foam into the rails isnā€™t exactly what youā€™d expect from a six-thousand-dollar product.

2 Likes

Mike could provide invaluable assistance to the community by telling how the antenna works. Inserting pieces of foam into the rails isnā€™t exactly what youā€™d expect from a six-thousand-dollar product.

I donā€™t know exactly how antennas work, as I am not part of their tech team. Iā€™m just an independent rider. However, not having annoying cables and not needing to stick an antenna on top (as required by other systems Iā€™ve tried, like the Lacroix Vortex) is a significant advantage of this system.

As for the foam installation, itā€™s a one-time operation that literally takes only 2 minutes. I donā€™t see why this would be a drawback, especially when it helps improve the signal for a carbon board, and you only need to do it once during the initial setup.

I suspect they just use a stronger signal. Water disperses 2.4ghz, so foam will lessen this dispersion.

1 Like

I can use my carbon board without foildrive. And sometimes I need to move the mast back and forth. In this case, picking out and reinstalling pieces of foam becomes an extremely annoying task.

Quite possibly. (Post must beā€¦ must beā€¦)

To be completely honest, letā€™s admit that the first version of the foil drive looked like an Alibaba joke, dreamed up by enthusiasts with no engineering skills.

Nothing on the maytech pages mentions the frequency for the V2 remote. Iā€™m assuming they use the same or similar rf chip to the Bremote LR version.

The battery life is a lot worse on V2 compared to V1, so assume the transmit power has been increased a lot. I wonder if itā€™s still within legal limits/ certified

2 Likes

By the way, ceramic bearings are visible in the video. When I spoke with Saite about ordering the motors, they did not recommend installing ceramic bearings for the 12s battery.

They used Maytech V2 on the foil-drive box-on-top version as well. And when the board sinked, people had to put the remote closer to the box. So it is probably not the LR version.
It works in gen2 probably because signal passes in the board better than in the water. Signal passes from the enclosure into the board, then goes to the not sinked front of the board and then to air.
I bet that if the whole board sinked, there wonā€™t be any reception.

1 Like

I was thinking very possibly notā€¦
They may have shifted to 433Mhz or something like that. Iā€™m not sure what bremote LR uses

2 Likes

That battery grease.
Is it applied on the battery connector?
How often?
Why?
What it consists of?

1 Like

itā€™s dialectic grease.

1 Like

Thanks.
So it is non conducting, but displaced upon connection. It is used to protect contacts from the environment.
And they recommend it despite the water access to contacts is blockedā€¦
Probably spraying CorrosionX will also do.

itā€™s not blocked. itā€™s mitigated but the risk remains.

1 Like

Thats exactly how it works. Same way it works on all the foam boards of waydoo and sifly as they all have the receiver under waterā€¦:wink: Thats why FD enshures with those foam insert that no water is getting on top of the receiver;-)

2 Likes