Has anyone tried a gas powered build?

I was also thinking about transmission when I thought about putting e-motor inside board.
My option was also timing belt trough mast.
Another one is gears from angle grinder but with 3 or 4 gears aligned in a way that axis of bigger gear(s) is perpendicular to mast sides.

Repurposing brush cutter and its engine, like a Honda GX50, gives you centrifugal clutch and all the safety and controlls needed. The engine is 200mm tall and clutch is about 8cm, and can be included in the mast, since you need to DIY a mast anyway for shaft and gears. Now you can force exhaust through mast, reducing noise, and add aluminium bottom frame to hold it together acting as a cooling system for the engine. Vibration is the only thing that needs to be adressed

Answer from Jetsurf support:

The ball is from plastic - Polypropylene .

Melting point : 160°C

1 Like

Interesting Chinese gas jetsurf brand :

1 Like

It’s already been done. It’s been done with a lawnmower with a two-punch engine. It’s very slow

2 Likes

Hahaha that is amazing. Looks more like a weed eater/edge trimmer.

Great work, well done.

Do you have any further details and video?

Was it difficult to start and stand up?

Isn’t it what we’re after after all with a 90° angle transmission instead of 45 ?

Yep, a 90° edge trimmer gearbox would be the right thing and should hold up pretty well. You’d just need to do waterproofing.

Just search on Google for weed wacker gearboxes and this pic turned up from this forum in 2018

Standing up is not difficult, but the speed is too slow and the voice is a little fried

I have a slow Internet connection to upload videos to YouTube

Omnipotent Taobao, only you can’t think of, no can’t buy, 90°45° have

Do you know the rpm and motor power ? We have plenty of propeller models (FR, P-King, Flite, Manta, …) to improve this but if the rpm is halved, we cannot increase the prop diameter that much …

It could be this, it seems to be the biggest 2 stroke version at 63cc

It gives a motor RPM but we would need to know the gearbox ratio

Specifications:
Engine type: Single cylinder
Stroke: 2 stroke
Cooling System : air-cooled
Engine model: 1E48F
Displacement : 63cc
Max. Power: 2.3kw/8000rpm
Start system: Recoil start(manual start)
Ignition system: CDI
Mixing ratio(Gasoline:oil) : 25:1
Gasoline tank capacity: 1.2L
Idle speed: 3000rpm
Gear ratio: 2.08(27/13)
Propeller diameter: 18cm
Propeller options: 7-1/4*5-A inch
Running speed: 15–18km/h

It is given at 20.8 (27/13), normally it is output over input but cannot confirm. This would mean the output (the prop) turns at twice the motor rpm

Using a gas engine is pretty dissuasive. With so much weight over the board during a fall, the chances of the engine overturning and taking on water are not negligible. Then folows the urgent maintenance session otherwise water especially salted will corrode all moving parts (piston, cylinder, valves, connecting rod, crankshaft, etc.): drain the fuel system, [If salt water: rinse the engine thoroughly with fresh water], dry the engine (compressed air + water-repellent product), start and run the engine.

Oh yes I didn’t see the ratio, I would imagine its the other way round as in a reduction.

You could mount the motor drive shaft pole touching the trailing edge of a standard mast then 3d print a hydrodynamic surround to go around both the mast and pole, it would be chunky and a bit draggy but I think it will work OK.

Yes, it should have a long chord (30+cm) given the thickness but it will work.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035622470.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.109.5f90503edoi02A&algo_pvid=b509dd0e-faf3-4fcb-8be4-1ef7440c3bb0&algo_exp_id=b509dd0e-faf3-4fcb-8be4-1ef7440c3bb0-54&pdp_npi=3%40dis!HRK!2223.11!1289.37!!!!!%40211bf14716856935623011896d082f!12000018236383253!sea!HR!119950568&curPageLogUid=pGf6B6Lj4xMa
two of this little babyes could make good build. if you can make big enough compartment maby tay will fit inside board.
maby even one would be enough if you gear it 1:3.

Those gasoline 2-stroke engine for RC boats are water cooled (ggod thing) but are only 29cc. For extra power and torque, there is also this water cooled 43cc:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805109769595.html