Maytech 100a VESC overheating

Whereas motor /propeller matching has been pointed out numerous times sometimes investigated from the ESC records, slippage was approached more from the angle of effects (GPS speed) rather than causes.

2" less than the 6" (150mm) consensus …

?? A spring effect like using a soft mast+fuselage with a high aspect (HA) ratio wing made out of high modulus (HM) carbon (Gong case reported here end 2022) ?? (just speculating)

Many members here have a large propeller set including: FR + Flite + Manta + EML + printed ones

1 Like

OK I will definitely look into that. If there was a short in the windings I would expect current spikes straight from startup? There’s no issues while maintaining duty cycle under 60%

Spring effect is a good point. And could explain it as the blade either catches or doesn’t on each revolution. Being a foil the speed decrease would be negligible while you’re gliding.

I do have a folding propeller from eml-store/propeller king that’s much stronger than my PETG propellers. Will test/log that tomorrow at higher rpm and see if I still get these current spikes.

This is the problem with a marginal short circuit, it can be the case that it occurs only at higher voltage if there is enough isolation to resist lower voltages (voltage in this case means motor voltage = batt voltage x duty cycle). But i think this is not the most probable root cause, i would still guess on vesc/motor matching.

If you can get your hands on an isolation tester it’s easy to measure, you can do the measurement at 125 or 250V in this case.

1 Like

I wonder regarding this. Current equals torque (if control is good…) and the 95% duty diagram shows transitions from torque 1x to 2.5x during at least a second. That’s got to be noticable if the reading is correct.

1 Like

Yea which is another reason it’s got me stumped. My office is 5 meters from the waters edge so was continuously checking logs and changing propellers today. It was short rides and I was trying to feel for any vibration, noises and changes in control which I could not.

After all the logs were showing the spikes at over 60% duty I changed to current control with hopes that may balance it out. Logs still showed the spikes and still nothing noticeable happening while riding.

Have you tried changing the switching frequency? It could reduce spiking if the motor is hard to control for this VESC, might be worth a shot

1 Like

Hey. I did adjust the switching frequency and didn’t change the current much. I’m wondering if one of my solder joints to the phase wires on my motor is no good. Will check over everything thoroughly and report back.

1 Like

Hello, did you manage to find some New things with the 100A maytech to get better thermal/motor performance ? Overheating mine on 8s After 30 seconds or so, thermal pad form Ali heatsink to the Steel box. 6374 maytech and printed folding prop.

Unfortunately not. What heatsink did you end up with? I have one here with thin fins I’ve been meaning to put on to hopefully improve heat dissipation.

I did make a motor pod with water cooling. It simply sprays water on my heatsink which does stop it from overheating.

thermal pads are not so good for heat transfer better paste and strong contact

thermal pads are not so good for heat transfer better paste and strong contact

0.5mm thermal transfer pads should be more than adequate. I’ve always used them when connecting water-cooling to esc housings and the escs have stayed around 35°.

2 Likes