Maytech remote hack?

Almost done. After making a new front window and glueing this to the OLED it fits right in. The OLED PCB needed to be cut slightly to make it fit but nothing extreme.

6 Likes

Already tested for some weeks now but I have a nice white screen. And a fully functional remote, the new screen is also much more readable in the sun now.

If any of you need some screen replacements tips or parts let me know I still have some spare screens and OLEDs.

4 Likes

Can you change / update my Maytech when at the meetup beginning next month?
We will take a soldering gun with us :slight_smile:

What a display did you built in that the visible in the sun? Can you please tell the type?
Greetings Eduard

Where did you get the screen from mate, mines gone completely blank.

Search on oled 128x64 and you can see a few different kinds:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oled+128x64&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Hopefuly some of these kinds can be cut down in the same way:
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Serial-128X64-Display-Color/dp/B06XRBTBTB/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=oled+128x64&qid=1626988472&sr=8-7

Thanks @brycej, just ordered a pack of 5, no doubt it will do the same again.

Bought mine at AliExpress.

This 0.96inch one should work best. It’s smaller than the normal 1 inch and is easily modified to fit in.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001636557498.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dbzkwIZ

Sweet, that’s what I’ve just ordered. It’ll be here tomorrow.

5 Pieces 0.96 Inch OLED Module 12864 128x64 SSD1306 Driver IIC I2C Serial Self-Luminous Display Board Compatible with Arduino Raspberry PI (White) Amazon.co.uk

I’ll rip it open tomorrow and see how she fits.

So I got the old screen out, and have shaped the new one to fit. However! As I epoxy’ed everything in it came out in a million tiny pieces so I now have no clue which colour wire goes to which. :man_facepalming:

Does anyone know which colour wire is which on the remote by any chance?

I have a post somewhere here that should show this clearly.

You can see it on image

1 Like

Its working again! I’ve got no glass screen as that got destroyed when removing all the epoxy. Its jam packed with silicone grease so hopefully it will be ok, if not I’ve now got 4 spares to get through.
I actually prefer the white screen, seems clearer in daylight.

4 Likes

Well I’ve Just been for a ride and about 30 minutes in and the screen went from pixelated to blank again :man_facepalming:

Good job I now have spares.

Yeah it’s quite a challenge to get everything waterproof.

Maytech did waterproof upgraded on MTSKR1905WF remote, now better waterproof performance, see below how is it upgraded:

Do you also sell the screen separate then? It will still fail after some time so it is possible to repair the remote if you are lucky and only screen fails.

Hello guys.
I saw a video from FoilDrive, about their new supercharched remote with extended range.
Clearly it is a maytech. I wonder how they improve reception (or emission) from just a maytech remote.
I have to admit that as soon as my waterproof box get under water ( or my friend’s extended antenna) the signal gets cut. Which is annoying considering that the remote is often less than 20cm from the receiver.

I put the antenna for the receiver under the fiberglass at the nose of the board. Right before the first layer I routed out a pocket for it and potted it in epoxy then just glassed over it. The range is so good as long as the remote is not under water. I have not tested to see how far I can get from it, but the furthest I have attempted it so far is about 20 feet or so.

This won’t work if you use carbon fiber since it is known to block signals.

EDIT: I just realized this is a foil drive assist set up and not a typical efoil so my example doesn’t apply. Leaving the post up anyway…

Thanks. Yes an extension is better.
But on the one i tried, if water gets over it it still cuts