Motor question with motorised kayak if I may (70131 12kw Waterproof Brushless Motor for E-foil)

That I now know, question remains: “which 12kW motor is suitable for the job?”

Thanks for the pictures. I use the 70131 in fresh water for the complete season. But I switched the screws directly to stainless steel before first use. How do you get the sealing for the shaft?Do you got pictures also?

I have purchased a double lip seal. I can machine a chamber in the end bell for it

This is a sketch I made, there is room on the right for a 10mm seal

Update:
I have rebuilt the rotor. Whislt the 2216 epoxy from 3M was still wet I wound a strong sowing thread closely around the magnets. The motor is capable of running very fast and I suspect that that load was too much when the sea water had destroyed the original magnet bonding. After that had cured in the oven at 80*C (don’t say a word to da missus pls) I machined it down to size. Finally I applied a clear lacquer to the whole lot just to protect the Aluminium from the salt water. I have also purchased new bearings, not the Z type as original but 2RS as that will keep the lubrication in better and any water out. However, the rear bearing was sitting very tight so I first tested the assembled motor in warm water to spot any leaks in that O-ring, and it did. So off came that end bell too. The power leads are very short which I could see looking in the housing from the front. By clearing the )-ring I cracked the insulation of two of the leads. Question is: "is there anything connected to these leads inside the potting or can I just remove these leads and refit 3 new ones…

1 Like

Please notice the bit of rubber nipped from the O-ring

I remove and fit the rotor on the lathe so that the force of the magnets is eliminated and the rotor doesn’t scrape on the stator housing.
You can just see the thread embedded in the 2216 bonding.

Oh, before I forget, as I also want to know what max temperature the rotor is I stuck one of these on.
So, now for the hot question, may I pull those leads out?
Looking forward to your comments and advice.
Ps. I know now that for some of us here this motor has given trouble, when it works it’s fabulous :smiley: