My electric Flipsky outboard cutting at 42A - anyone knows why or what to try?

@Toto44 maybe you can put a aluminium tube around your motor like I did, that helps a lot for cooling the motor I think.

I was actually asking Toto as it looks like his motor is sitting in the boats slipstream which might explain the heat.

No, it is not. Deep enough in the water. And I do not really think that this would change much.

I dont think that an extra layer of metal will increase the cooling. The motor is surrounded by water, thats the best you can get

1 Like

The prop should be running under the hull. At a certain speed you lose efficiency and cooling otherwise. All outboards (including electric) are designed to run below hull level.

@toto I am not quite sure about that. Aluminium got 400 times more thermal conductivity then water. You will increase the surface where water can do its cooling Job a lot.

@jezza yes motor hight is also very important.

Only if the Motorhousing and the sleeve have a press fit otherwise you loos a lot of cooling.
Plus the diameter increase increase drag a lot

Yes of course press fit is necessary. increasing drag is no problem and isn’t really a big thing, because main drag comes from the boat itself. if you get 9,3kw instead of 5,5kw. Its worth it I think. But it could also be a wrong setting why you getting heating problems.