Slow Build Austria / Salzburg

I used a plastic tube with a diameter slightly larger than the diameter of the propeller.
I laminated a few layers of CFRP over this. A little more at the front, less at the back.
The spokes are made of carbon, as is the hub. It’s all glued together with epoxy.

I’m using the winter to slightly improve my V1 & V2 Efoil. I’m specifically looking for a much stiffer mast. The Gong V1 mast tends to swing massively in the waves. Likewise, the long HA wings are almost impossible to drive with a Gong V1 mast. Attached are a few pictures of my new engine mounting system…

6 Likes

The gong V2 mast is a lot stiffer so that will serve you well. Apart from that i found the top plate slop is not a lot better on the V2 and this was (at least my) main issue with my gong V1 setup.

I wish they all could introduce a grip fit or conical interface for the top connections!

1 Like

I have a core foil setup and also had slop in the top plate. I used epoxy to fix it and much much better feeling.

Wich Mastsystem are you using?

The 71cm kite version. Apparently the wing version is stiffer.

There is a other thead about stiffnes from Gong 1/2/CFK.
The probleme comes when you are using longer Systems.
In my setups i am using 85 and 95 mastsystems.
They are much more sensitive than shorter masts.

Thats why i change all my efoils now to minimum GOng V2 or CFK

I can confirm that the Gong V2 in 85 alu doesn’t move over time: no twisting, unlike my V1 in 65 long.
nice job on the mast clamp.

with Epoxy between base plate and mast ? (not sure if it’s needed on V2)

(I have 75 and 85 cm V2 ALU, and 80CM V1, 80 cm V1 with epoxy in base plate, but is too flexible, my V2 masts are good, without epoxy between base plate and mast)

Hey, why did you make a tail cone? Modern highly efficient propellers have the opposite design:

Yamaha:

Suzuki:

because the tail cone is more efficent than a “normal” propeller.
That design that you show me, i not tried. my design is 3 years old.
I can design such a end and try if i see some differences.

At the speeds efoils run at the tailcone will have absolutely zero effect other than looks.
Even on large speedboats with 300hp motors a cone makes minimal difference and as a result they leave them off because of manufacturing costs etc.

1 Like

Have you noticed any performance improvement with your design?
Have you made any measurements or comparisons of effectiveness?

i am using metr to log the data.
In my measurements “without” and “with” tailcone, I was able to achieve approx. 2-3 km more range with the tailcon.
With multiple measurements I was able to foil about 25-26 km “without”.
However, when I measured “with” I came to 29 km (several times).

1 Like

I am using the maytech 65162 120kV with an Samsung Q30 14S14P Pack.
Propeller was an FR 6" 3 blades.
Wing, Gong Veloce M Stab Veloce 39cm.

1 Like

It would be interesting to see the metr data without, but there’s way more that can affect the data than just the prop cone.

At moment I can’t upload more tracks because since longer time I wasn’t connected with my VESC.
In my notes I found the same setup, same lake ( little bit warmer water :crazy_face: )
29km is with tail cone, 25km without.

Yes, the speed is very similar.

How do you know, you got some data on this? Please link it!

1 Like

In the first screenshot the route is straighter. In the second screenshot it is more homosexual.
Not a very accurate comparison.

1 Like

yes, the tests i made in 2021, it is after that time not so easy to find the correct logs.
But belive me, the results that i got was 2-3 more km.