Stiff masts are best... until they aren't? What gives?

@Jezza you think Project Cedrus is too expensive and would prefer to have 4 masts instead 1, that’s a different topic entirely and irrelevant to this discussion regarding stiffness. Most of my customers are trying to reduce their gear and lower their weight for traveling. I never argue with people about their budget, it’s a personal decision that I respect. But Project Cedrus is hand made in the USA and therefore has a higher manufacturing cost than those solid carbon masts produced in China or Taiwan (Axis, Unifoil, Cloud IX, SPG, etc). I don’t even try to recover the non-recurring engineering investment in the mast (which is at this point thousands of my hours). I sell the mast for a little more than the cheaply made Chinese product so this comment is a bit of #trigger for me.

My assumption that top riders don’t know about Project Cedrus is an assumption, yes. But it is based on lots of data from people who reach out to me and did not know about Project Cedrus despite it being around for 3 years now. I don’t spend money on marketing and I don’t live in Hawaii so it is actually hard to get through all the noise in this industry. And as I stated, many of these “top riders” are not going to buy a mast from me because of the price or due to their contractual obligations. I hope to get more masts out there to these riders, but it’s important to me that I treat my customers fairly and so I don’t make deals and I don’t give the away.

You’re right that making a stiffer mast is not rocket science, but the data out there suggests that these companies don’t actually know how to make a stiffer mast. These companies don’t have engineers on staff, and use contract manufacturing for their product. In fact most of them are even using the same contract manufacturer! I know because I have talked to the guy making all the masts for unifoil, SPG, Cloud IX, etc. They’re all making the same thing, and if they want to make it stiffer, it gets really heavy and really expensive because it’s solid carbon fiber. Once again you make statements with no evidence. Show me another lightweight hollow stiff carbon mast from one of these top brands that was tested at one point but then abandoned in favor of soft, solid carbon masts by their top riders.

Your statement regarding damping is actually proving my point that stiffness is critical. Yes, for one rider in certain conditions an element of damping may be beneficial. But change the weight of the rider, and especially the speed (wings) and the mast could end up hitting its eigenvalue in these new conditions. So if you are making a mast for a variety of wings and a variety of riders, as these brands do, it is best to make it as stiff as possible to avoid the potential resonant frequencies being too low.

I’m not interested in proving which mast is king. I am simply providing engineering principles and lots of data to suggest that stiffness is critical to the performance of a mast, which is what this thread is about. I don’t need to mount strain gauges to the mast to determine that it’s stiffer. I have simulated bending and torsional stiffness for a number of masts using finite element analysis, and many people have twisted and bent it first-hand the mast on the beach and said the same thing. I have 75+ data points from customers of different weights, different disciplines, coming from different masts, who all say the stiffness of Project Cedrus has resulted in better performance. Getting “3 of the top riders” would be a waste of time and actually a smaller and less diverse data set than I currently have. You are the only one providing opinions and speculations here.

2 Likes

Why don’t companies make stiff masts for their pros?

Money. If you bought molds, you can switch til you pay those off. Engineering loses to dollars in many cases, right?

I think Piros has talked quite a bit about using stiffer masts - I think he said the aluminum Takuma mast is better than their carbon in that respect.

I have personal experience with 3 different GoFoil masts, and I can say with complete confidence that I personally prefer the most recent and stiffest version. Less stiff mast is immediately noticeable in a few scenarios.

1. riding through the foamy water after a set-wave - you can feel the turbulence in the water and it vibrates/resonates in the mast
  2. paddling on a SUP you can feel the wing wiggle under you with the less stiff masts (this doesn’t really matter, but its annoying)
  3. high speed takeoffs - the less stiff mast can get a kind of speed-wobble when going straight.

I will say, I didn’t notice it while turning

1 Like

@jondrums that’s super interesting feedback. I had always wondered if foils have the equivalent of the “speed wobble” which can happen when you ride an inadequately stiff road bikes at high speed. The resonant frequency of a system is sqrt(k/m) with k being stiffness, and m being the mass. So big riders will drive the resonant frequency of a foil system down, potentially to a value that is excitable under the conditions (speed, turning frequency, pumping frequency, etc). Look up the “galloping gertie” tacoma narrows bridge to see what happens when a structural resonant frequency is too low… :slight_smile:

Hi.

I don’t mind mast flex. I ride the 90cm slingshot aluminum mast and it flexes a lot.

But, I don’t have a stiffer mast to compare it to.

I imagine that with enough time on a board setup you just learn to ride it, predict it.

:call_me_hand:

yeah, could be a resonant frequency thing. I’m on the bigger side at #210 without a wetsuit on, so I’d need a stiffer mast for the same resonant frequency as compared to a lighter person.

In case anyone was still interested in this topic, Gunnar did a live review yesterday on youtube. He has some interesting points, some of which I had never thought about to be honest. Specifically, a stiffer mast is less prone to ventilation because it’s twisting less. Also some interesting thoughts related to increased wing stability again due to mast stiffness and control. Another misconception is that thicker masts are slower, but he actually said he was able to ride it faster because he felt more in control and stable due to the stiffness.

1 Like

I do not know what mast ventilation is.Can somebody explain?

I have had breaches with full ventilation when the foil is not banked and you bring it too high and partial ventilation on tip breaches in turns or going upwind with lots of lean.

I am not sure i agree with how he dismisses the thicker section mast drag.Top speed might be limited by a big foil hitting a “wall” of drag but mast drag is still there.In low energy situations like small wave surfing,light conditions downwinding, winging jibes&tacks it is going to be a negative factor.

If you have lots of horsepower (kiting,big waves etc… and you are riding a +80cm mast then the stiffnes is probably worth it.But otherwise?.
I like winging for its playfulness, this trend towards bigger masts and higher speeds is a dead end IMHO.Wind waves are short and slow, i want gear that lets me carve them,not blast through.

I have tried a 85cm mast for a few weeks and it felt boring and “disconnected”,not surfy at all (i am 73kg,176cm).
And the launching and landing become such a royal PITA…not worth it for me.Maybe for bigger guys.

My Takuma carbon mast (75cm) is a lot flexier than my Armstrong 72cm, but it feels a lot glidier and carves way better.
Cannot say if the carving and general playfulness are due to the mast flex or the different foil designs though.

What i mean is,horses for courses.Every dimension in foil design is a compromise with upsides and downsides.Nothing’s free.

I do like the soft edge concept a lot, hope it becomes the norm.

I was just catching up on my progression podcast, and there is a bit about stiffness/compliance on the one with Cole Kawana. Eric thinks that a bit of flex low down might be good for rail to rail turning - not so much a definitive statement by him, but I’ve heard the same from others that the right flex in the system low down by the fuselage is a good thing

Bump! got any more info or links on that? would like to see what was said and what’s considered super stiff. What about 19mm axis mast? Thinking of trying this to get a comparison but i’d skip it if it’s likely to be too stiff.

I don’t have links on it. I’m good mates with Cliff from Unifoils and have had long chats to him and looked at gear he’s sent out to sponsored riders. They made a series of masts with various thickness and stiffness which were all rider tested before they eventually settled on the ones they produce. The stiffest masts were less favoured in the surf. For pumping sure the stiffer would perform better, but one has to look at where most are being used and that would be surf or wing and then also consider rider weight etc.
I have Gong masts, Axis 16mm and 19mm and Slingshot masts (although the slingshot will go soon).
For pump I used either 19mm or 16mm (depending on what wing I’m using) and then on Efoil I use the Gong. When I eventually get back to South Africa again after COVID settles down I’ll test the new Unifoil gear and get some more wings.
Depending on what you weigh and what the use case is, the axis 19mm could be a decent addition…

I think rider weight comes into play here. I weight 185# and am on the edge of where flex bothers me. I can ride a lift mast. I can ride an AXIS 16mm. Guys who are 200# though HATE flex in masts. If you’re over 190# I’d say the AXIS 19mm is a great addition.

I think the discipline also plays a large role. I am 204 (93kg) and on efoil I don’t notice any flex at all with the Gong mast even in the carves but then I am riding smaller wings.
Behind a boat on the wake I tend to ride the 16mm axis and don’t have any issues with flex.
But when it comes to pumping I then prefer the 19mm mast.

Totally unrelated question but while were on pumping: i’ll try some dock starting with the huge gong xxl foil i have. I don’t know how it’s done but i’ll try.

Question is: does the board matter at all for pump starts from the dock or can i just strap the wing to something roughly boardlike without making it extra hard for me?

Plenty of videos of guys dockstarting with skateboard decks. Might even be easier to put your feet in the correct spot.

Make sure it floats your foil. You’re gonna have to paddle back at some point.

This and also so that your foil doesn’t sink. The smallest, lightest board you have will be easiest for pumping.

Glad to see this one still going. Lots of good stuff and smart folks in here.

Is this you @Larsb?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM5JXNbrYZh/

1 Like

Ouch :grinning: Yeah, well, not yet!
It will be me when summer comes :grinning:

I’d probably have sanded that wing a little bit more though