Ultimate watersports Remote & Receiver

Hi Sami ! Really nice looking remote and detailed post. I too was going to work on this kind of project based on a diy remote from solidgeek from esk8 forum with a slightly different approach. I was going to log everything on my remote and therefore get rid of the elogger / metr.app, just like you :smile:
Would be glad to help if needed. I have good electric knowledges and also have my own SLA 3D printer. We might also create a software to read / treat all the data from the remote !

1 Like

@Sliman_O thank you, at desktop and phone software Any help would be appreciated. I am working with a freelancer CAD designer to re-design the remote it is kinda going slow but steady. Talking about the universal remote, this is not just another vesc remote, receiver has 4 thermistor inputs and power break input ( like the one for pixhawk and ardupilot) to measure current and voltage which makes it possible to use with any esc

1 Like

Hi Sami, I’ll pm you and we’ll try to begin with the desktop app. Phone app might come later.
Your design looks pretty close to the one from Lift tough.

2 Likes

Oh no, I bought their remote and teared it down, didn’t like the Electronics. The remote design is ok but I think there s. room to reduce size and get better ergonomics

Got any pics of the inside of the Lift’s remote ? Where is the GPS placed ?

no gps inside check the tear down here:

Thanks !
Quick question : how do you picture the pairing functionality on this remote / receiver ?

For pairing, Receiver will create fixed MAC ID from chip’s unique ID, Receiver has pairing button. When receiver is paired will always advertises with whitelist means only paired remote can see receiver is advertising.Remote side if it is paired will always initiate connection to paired device. Receiver has pair button, if it is hold for long time it will delete pairing information and will start advertising for new pairing. I am thinking to allow Remote to be used with multiple receivers, if there is multiple paired receivers are on at the same time, user can select which one to connect from receiver lcd and use of 3 buttons to navigate

I am adding provisions in to the receiver side for voltage and current sensor that has been used for Ardupilot for those who might not using VESC and looking to measure voltage, current and power consumption. I received one and will start testing soon
http://www.craftandtheoryllc.com/store/mauch-076-hs-200-hv-voltage-current-sensor/

1 Like

Logging is now part if VESC-Tool. Watch Benjamin Vedders latest YouTube video.

I will check As far as I remember vesc version 6 hardware doesn’t have external memory provisions to store the log data and internal memory will be limited, other thing is to be able to store and analyze gps, imu and vesc measurements data in sync

It is stored on the phone in CSV format.

Hi Sami, I too was thinking about logging all the info in CSV format for your remote. Now that the VESC tool aslo works on this principe, I think it would be easier to find a way to use the VESC too with your remote (and thus not designing a new app). What do you think ?
You will just need to log every data the same way the VESC does.

@Trampa : is it possible to use a third party esc / vesc with the VESC tool desktop app and therefore be able to access all the logged values on graphs ?

I watched the Benjamin Vedder’s latest video and he indeed is logging all the data, including the IMU. It seems really great and “easy” to read tough.

Could you remind us what does IMU stand for ?

Just make take a look at the vesc-tool logging description. You just have to use the same format.

IMU stands for Inertial Measurement Unit. Which is basically accelerometer, barometer, gyroscope and sometimes compass too (6 or 9 axis) on a small chip.

The most common chip used I see on flight controllers is from invensense :

Edit : corrected chip instead of ship…

This is basically the idea, hence the question to Franck Trampa. If we could just format the data like the original VESC does and use the VESC tool to read them, it would spare us hours of development.

You can do that. The CSV structure just needs to match.

1 Like

Wow, wasn’t expecting this. This is a great nieuws, thanks !
@samisin could you provide a sample of your code formatting the data ? we’ll check this to make sure it’s the same structure in csv format :slight_smile: