Waydoo Kickstarter gathered $268K. Is $4K commercial eFoil realistic?

Quality and reliability are extremely important when you’re talking about any type of watercraft. Getting stranded in an open body of water is no joke. For rivers and small lakes I wouldn’t be too concerned, but I wouldn’t take a Waydoo out in the ocean until I’ve seen a lot more tests and reviews.

The Kickstarter terms are another problem. Waydoo has no obligation to deliver anything after taking your money. Even if they do deliver an eFoil to their Kickstarter backers, they have no obligation to honor the warranty if it breaks.

they have no obligation to honor the warranty if it breaks.

What legal obligation does ANY company have to honor a warranty? I understand why people are spooked about back KS experiences, but Waydoo has shipped eFoils previously and is using this as a marketing/pre-order platform.

I agree that I wouldn’t take this eFoil (or any eFoil really…) far enough from shore that I couldn’t swim it in.

In the US? A lot of obligations. Not only are they legally obligated to honor the warranty, they’re obligated to honor every claim they make about their product whether it’s written and guaranteed or not.

None of that applies to Kickstarter though. Credit card warranties and chargeback policies wouldn’t apply either.

At one third of the price, I think I could accept this kind of feeling even if a DiY EPS/XPS board might look better sometimes. What would be worth testing is the Waydoo One capacity to tow another foilboard as shown in the adverts. That tells a lot on the drivetrain + battery aspect.
It would be nice if someone could plug a VESC + motor detection feature on top of the mast and compare the data with a 65160 motor data set :upside_down_face:

We have put huge resources into our innovations and will enforce our patents. However it takes time. I welcome quality competition that grows the sport, but people need to follow the rules and respect intellectual property. Separate to the patent issues, Waydoo are making a board a board out of the same foam that we mould our packaging from. We could reduce our battery costs by 70% by using a cheap low power Chinese cell, but we won’t do that. Our fuselage requires 15 hours of machine time, Waydoo seems to be cast cast out of multiple pieces, and I have heard (and seen pictures) of wings snapping off mid flight. There are big differences is quality. Flite and Lift are both driven to make amazing products - that we would want to ride in harsh environments. There is still a long way to go for Waydoo to actually deliver, manage support, and of course deal with these patent issues.

1 Like

Hi Merten! As you know I had the idea for adding a motor to my kite foil board More than 12 months before you and I came into contact (or Don posted his first video). I was certainly inspired by Don’s efforts getting one working - but I had ideas and drawings from long before that. I also think you’ll agree the the first Jetfoiler concepts shared online looked nothing at all like a Fliteboard. A totally different format. There are a lot of intricacies and innovations contained in our patents And claims. Including patents which are not yet public.

Nr from Patent?
I will read it.
Your work in honor, but the idea is not yours!
You may have optimized and refined it, like many, but not more.
Fuck the patents in the trash, continue to develop and stay competitive with new ideas and innovations and not through the lawyers.
If I already read that you compare your packaging material with the material change boards and threaten with a lawyer… I find it stupid!

Best regards Frank

You cannot say that even if you are talking about the making cost , the box itseft cannot be that cheap… at most 10-15% of the retailed price

Without protection from Patents, why would anybody bother investing millions of dollars to innovate over many years - only to be copied a week later by a company in China or somewhere else? Patents are important to encourage innovation and keep innovators paying the bills. But yes I agree, continuing to innovate is the key to long-term success and that’s exactly what we are doing.

2 Likes

One thing for sure is that Waydoo is following this thread :slight_smile: Since the time I started it:

• I got a reply to my FB inquiry
  • I got a followup to my email
  • I see replies here from all these “I’m backer #…” shilling for Waydoo and the fact that it’s ok to pay $4K and maybe receive product in 2021. lol

However, nobody, has replied to my ask to purchase product with credit card or PayPal instead of a wire transfer to a Chinese bank.

Yeah and all those backers have only commented in this thread meaning they are either Waydoo or reps…

That’s the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. A lot of patents actually force other companies to be even more creative to get around them and not just blatantly copy. That actually drives innovation further. None of the top companies would be anywhere near where they are today without paying for and enforcing patents. Then on top of that patents also ensure that shit copies are kept off the market.

There’s a good reason for that, Maytech has proved it time and again in this forum.
No way to reclaim money = can provide bad customer support

I bet nothing is gonna happen to enforce those “patents”. The market nowadays is fast, innovative with a lot of players acting and innovating all at the same time. The way patents are is from the 1900’s… Slow and useless most the time cause of ‘prior art’. Somebody with a DIY ‘invention’ mentioned on YouTube or socials is enough to kill your patent.
Keep on innovating and let your product speak and proof to be the best. You will win the battle (=market) as a result.

1 Like

Your answer is ridiculous!
Patents only make sense if they are also technically justified.
As in this case, it only prevents new innovations and does nothing, neither manufacturers nor users.
I don’t see anything on a lift foil that didn’t exist long before …
But that’s just my opinion, it doesn’t have to be your opinion!

What about Patent No. David?
What have you patented?
Greetings Frank

His patents are on the website. Use some ingenuity and find them…
Name one patent here that’s prevented another manufacturer doing something. Oh wait…none have…

Simple question, what phone and laptop do you use?

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
The patents are not worth their money, easy to bypass, and not new either.

The mere fact that Lift has managed to secure as much of the market as they have and also block competition in the US with the patent, completely nullifies this statement. Feel how you want about patents, but all the top companies worldwide benefit from them!

Mit fremden Ideen den Markt verlassen wollen, tolle Leistung! :roll_eyes:
Da Waydoo und DJI wohl werden, werden sich wohl paar paar ne goldene Nase verdienen, fällt Lift wirklich sich ne verlorenene Klage kann kann.
DJI hat sich mit Sicherheit bereits gesichert um im US Markt mit Spielen zu können.
Mal schauen war wird wird :sweat_smile:

They added 7 additional days. Seems they wanna get 2kk.

Hi.

All the first time posts from the Waydoo company people…LoL :rofl:

Patents are important. But, the Chinese don’t care about them.

People who value quality things usually decide to pay more for the real thing then buy a Chinese knock-off.

Build your own, or risk standing there with a broken product you don’t know how to fix.

Mic drop…

:call_me_hand:

1 Like