Wing foiling beginner boards? Use a SUP?

Passed out early and my local homies had started a long chat about beginning winging and what board to use so I hopped on to get this started.

Yugi called it in my opinion, the bigger the better. If you have a foil SUP, use that to start.

If not, yeah it’s lame to only get a couple of months out of a board so try to borrow one. (those that know me, I have a 7’4" converted SUP that I loan out.) Or buy a cheap one and sell it off after. You won’t lose much bread on it. Winging is deceptively hard at first and physically demanding enough with a big easy board. (So tiring!)

I’m on a 6’4" x 28" at 5’8" and 63kg (138lbs) and I’m almost (almost) to where I want to go smaller after maybe 9 sessions but honestly I’ll likely wait.

Pitch in your thoughts and then here’s what I’ve heard for longer term gear.

For a floater board anywhere from your weight in kg in litres (I’m 63 so 63 litres) to weight plus 20. (83 litres for me) is the range for more advanced riders. I’m being conservative so I’ll nice to the higher end for my next board. Planning a 5’x24" or 26" next. 4-5" thick.

For sinkers, once you can water start with the board under you. (think about crouching on your board with it balanced under you under water) you can ride a big prone board. I hope to get to this next summer but remember that if you’re offshore or in an area with bigger fish it can be nice to have a nice place to sit when in a lull with your body out of the water. :eyes::wink: Hawaiians say this, at least I’ve heard that.

Also while a SUP is good to learn on, wing boards are turning out to be simpler. Minimal or no bevels on rails. Little tail bevel, more hard edges on bottom. No concave, flat bottoms. It’s all about a short acceleration to planning speed which gets you onto foil fast. While not all may agree, several of the big companies and best shapers recommend this now. They are starting to look like big thick Boogie boards.

You don’t need to paddle straight, nothing. Just get on foil as fast as you can and then sort of not get in the way. Ok let’s hear what you guys think and post up questions.

Also would like feedback from folks who use one board for SUP and Wing. I’m still at that stage where I might be able to ride a 5’6”x26 for both. I could add a small ventral fin to help paddle straight.

Will 10” off (5’6”) be a serious upgrade or do I got for the full 16” off for dedicated wing board (5’) and be done?

I have yet to to try a wing as it has always kind of seemed like a downgrade from kiting to me.

Seems like an inflatable board might be ideal. They are cheap, light, and have great flotation, and you are already pumping the wing up anyways!

Very good explanation. Can I ask the question reverse then?
Can I still do SUP with a big wing board or would be too much unstable?
Are the SUP wider?
What would be a good ratio volume for a SUP foil. Your weight in Kg + 30/40L
I think that may help.

The point is to try to have one board for both and maybe ones you learn to keep the big wing board for SUP and light wind days.

Alex, for sure. A lot of brands have crossover boards for both and that’s usually at the larger size. Gong makes a big crossover inflatable.

And I hear you on Kiting but a lot of kiters are switching I hear (SF and Hawaii)

You can launch anywhere. Less, and cheaper gear. And you can do what Alex is saying (and what I will do) and keep a Wing in your car and pull it out after surfing when the wind comes up.

If you don’t do wind sports already, there’s no comparison. Days of instruction to kite whereas you can goof off safely with a wing on day one.

Kiting looks awesome but I would never try it. Once I had a foil and a SUP, it’s was $650 to get into it. This will be a big part of foiling I think. But yeah, if you kite you have a good wind sport.

Also the risk of injury when learning to kite is high versus winging. I have minimal kiting experience but if you’re in a serious situation to de-power a wing is simple, just let go. No lines to untangle. But as Surfcowboy says, it’s tiring. Just like all other things new you’re using muscles that aren’t accustomed to the strain, also as a newbie my entire body is tense just trying to stand and get going. But on my third go out I was able to get on foil for 2 seconds before either de-powering too much or catching the wing edge on the water. Having a Blue Planet 7-6, 144L whale of a board I think saves me multiple sessions. I’m 5-7, 165 lbs. so this board is way more than I need but I want every advantage to progress quickly. Lastly, in SoCal there is so few days with sufficient wind so when I do go out I want to start standing.