Dear community of DIY Efoilers,
Thank you all for all the amazing builds and advices that have been shared on this forum, this gave me hope to be able to own one day my own efoil !
I fell in love with this activity 2 years ago but entry price is really high, so after many readings on your builds, it’s my turn to start mine (slow build I think, family life + living in apartment ;-))
My build will be a mix of several of yours that seemed to be successful, so finger crossed the choices made are correct as most of products have already been ordered (11.11 discount on Aliexpress).
The global idea is to have an efoil simple bolt-on style, meaning a waterproof box strapped on inflatable wing foil board, which would allow to ride ~1 hour at 25-30 Km/h (I weight 65 Kg)
Here are the components :
- Gong hipe 5.5 (2nd hand 2021 model only front foot straps) 150 Purchased
- Foil Gong Curve LT + 43 cm stab + 85 cm Mast (2nd hand) 256 Purchased
- 8 smart batteries Parkside 8Ah 350 Purchased
- 2 double charger parkside 53 Purchased
- Waterproof box (inner dim : 28,5x31x10,7) 45 Shipped
- Motor 6384 120KV No Hall 64 Shipped
- ESC FLYCOLOR X-Cross HV3 160A 61 Shipped
- Waterproof connector IP68 (btw motor and ESC) 3 Shipped
- UBEC 15A 7 Shipped
- Flipsky Vx3 81 Shipped
- Circuit breaker 200A 6 Shipped
- Cable gland PG 16 (on Box) 4 Shipped
- V_S prop to be printed
I liked very much the idea of @nicolasLGM about using Powerdrill batteries as it would require less soldering + I already have parkside tools + 3 year warranty. I missed the 54€ price on lidl website, but there are many new batteries sold on « Leboncoin » (craiglist like french website). I will organize the 8 batteries like 2 groups in series of 4 in parrallele = 40V32AH
Also I wanted to go low cost, and @bbe project showed that efoiling on a budget 6384 motor + ESC was possible.
I am still waiting for most of the part to arrive from China, so I have been looking at the electronic connection part and I have some questions :
- I would like to connect the box to the motor with a big « 3 wires » cable . I understood that it is advised to have 8 AWG wires and also that amp reaches 30A flying and 80A to lift, so I am trying to look for a waterproof IP68 connector being able to receive the big « 3 wires » cable and to support 80A. I purchased one but it is only 30A. Do I really need 80 A ?
Also do you think, I will need to replace the original 3 wires of the motor (they look small on picture), and replace them with 8 awg, or I could just connect them to 8 AWG (sorry maybe this is a stupid question, but I have nerver soldered before…)
Again thank you for all you advice !
See you soon,