$2000 US Fliteboard build

It all started in 2023 while visting Turks & Caicos and seeing my first two Fliteboards. Once I was back in the states I starting pricing them and found out real quickly it would be out of my budget for a weekend toy. I kind of gave up after that until I joined a few Facebook buy/sell groups and ran across a post talking about this forum. Once I started reading through the builds I realized this was my ticket so here we are. Goal was to try and stay at or under $2000usd

V1 Fliteboard 100L - via Facebook $500
Aliexpress 65cm Alum mast, Carbon fiber 2100sq in front wing - $331
10s 11p Battery already built from Jag35 - $314 shipped
Flite Prop -$45
Flipsky watersports kit (65161, 75200, Vx3 remote, bluetooth and antenna extender - $622
Icharger X12 - $183
Amazon 12 ac to dc converter $30
2.75" Carbon fiber nose cone $14

Total Build $2040

I had some help along with the way with a friend owning a fabrication shop having 3/4" aluminium already on hand not charging me for cutting out the adapter plate
created by @MBard and another friend that just bought a 3d printer that agreed
to print the prop guard for free just to test his printer.

Fliteboard recieved

Foil setup recieved about 1.5 months later

What started as 3/4" alum plate and using a cad file @MBard posted in his build ended up as the adapter plate

Battery arrived, disassembled, balance leads, inline fuse, 8awg wire/connectors added then shrink wrapped. Yes I know its not “waterproof” however its “water resistant” and thats good enough for me for now.

Mast was notched and motor mounts were cut from the alum plate and turned on a lathe to 2.5". I forgot to take more pics at this point. The rear mount was notched for the motor wires then center drilled for m3 screws to attach to the mast. I didnt think these tiny screws alone would withstand the torque so I added some stainless all thread on each side.

Motor/esc/remote arrived

Motor mounted, wires ran and esc mounted to adapter plate. I chose not to make an incloser for the esc or battery as the fliteboard seems to be sealed very well. I sealed all the holes in the mast top and bottom as well as the wires with 3m 4200 as I already had it on hand from previous projects.

Pool testing/programming the esc

Leak testing the board/adapter plate before final assembly. I left it in the pool for over 24hr while pouring water on top etc with no leaks.

All that was left at this point was to make some side skirts. I had a couple printed but they were flimsy and ended up cracking so had some carbon fiber and fiberglass on hand with epoxy resin. Using a piece of 2.5" pipe I laid out some fiberglass then couple pieces of carbon fiber making the side pieces. Once cured I used a template I traced of the mast to cut the arches.

Some random pictures

Maiden voyage yesterday. I still have some bugs I need to work out as it wouldnt get over 7mph while standing or on my knees and the amps were constant at 100-104a. After reading and asking Im thinking the prop gaurd may be the issue?? Also not fully convinced its not a VESC tools setting. I dont have a log yet as I will need to go back to the lake and create a log file unless I can hold it in the pool long enough to post a log. Thoughts? Also on the side skirts are people sealing them to the mast to reduce drag even more?

6 Likes

Nice. Another Frankenstein build :slight_smile:

When beginner’s ride my board I have a prop guard on it, and speed is no issue.

I think your vesc needs some tuning.

~Kian
PS. I love the motormount.

Thanks! Thats what I was hoping so we’ll see.

Nice work! That carbon fiber and glass on the motor mount looks nice. I’ve seen a few builds that tried to seal around the seams of the motor mount but not sure how successful it is. I didn’t seal mine and my mast is always full of water I didn’t seal well enough around the phase wires entering.
$500 for a series 1 Fliteboard is an outrageous deal, I was not so fortunate.
Hopefully you can get it sorted out soon

1 Like

Congratulations.
It looks great.
I too was shocked by the prices of commercial products and this led me to make a DIY efoil.
Mine cost me about $2,500.
But I was making a battery and cutting old surfboard.

1 Like

Pulled the propgaurd off last night and logged some data in the pool while trying to hold the foil in place. It defiently sounds different now and its hitting 160a or so momentarily. It feels like it has more power but want know until I can actually test it Friday.

I run vesctools on an iPhone so screenshot below is from that.

If you check the box that says Enable Real Time data logging you will generate a file that you can review in either the desktop ver of VT or load the file into Excel. Quite useful as the RT dials jump around a lot.

1 Like

I have the log I only posted a screenshot.

1 Like

I do the same as @Foilguy. After you connect the battery and the vesc is on, connect to it and enable that logging option on your phone. Then I put my phone in a Ziploc bag and tuck it in next to the battery.
Getting the log file off a phone (at least with iPhone) requires the Apple Files App to get to the folder. Then upload the log file somewhere.
Another option to view data that I like: https://vetr.at/
Upload a log file and a few minutes later it sends a link to view the data on a map with relevant shown

1 Like

That’s similar to a static test I did a few months ago. Peaked a bit over 4kW when I briefly did full throttle. Were you sitting on the board? When I did this I had to adjust where I was sitting on the board to keep it from tipping up, could easily tell there was a lot of thrust available

1 Like

I was sitting on the edge of the pool with the board facing me holding the nose down with one hand and working the throttle with the other with my phone sitting on the concrete. Wasnt the easiest method but rather not tear a liner.

Removed the prop gaurd and tested again Saturday. It was a night and day difference. Had 0 problems getting it to foil. Its quieter and battery last longer as well. Top speed I say in M was around 17mph.

6 Likes