80100 Duct for Safety

I used a 210mm pipe from a shop I don’t know the name

Do you have a model for my 80100 motor?

Ok great, I’ll see what I can draw up for you…

Do you have a link to the rear section of your mast clamp for me?

DF][

Safe Boating Guide 2009 - Transports Canada

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/marine/documents/tp511e.pdf
](https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwik9ruNwfPjAhUEOs0KHaUcAW4QFjAFegQIBhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tc.gc.ca%2Fen%2Fservices%2Fmarine%2Fdocuments%2Ftp511e.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2jJVhYiaA8BUa19DaeSU7u)

Sep 15, 2009 - Canadian Coast Guard on marine VHF weather … Remember as well that operating a propeller - driven surfboard is against the law in Canada.

Felix this is not for Jezza

an efail is a surfboard until it goes on the step or begins flying

not a lawyer but being dead right or losing a toe wont help anyone but the lawyer and Jezza

He may or may not even be correct that they substituted the wrong propeller…he has gone from not believing the graph to aruging about the methodology with which tha data was created.
sorry I wont be ansering in the thread any longer on this topic lol

that’s the motor model: Fusion
be carefull some have the aluminum ends that are slightly different…

This would surely encompass any jet board as an impeller is still a form of a propeller. Or have they made allowances for this elsewhere? Or do they stop every person riding a jetsurf or other board to check to see if it’s an open prop? This is a genuine question…I’m not trying to be facetious.

I am afraid my props wont reach your safety requirements,
I can tell you the Solas plastic propeller can work with your setup, not the more optimized but this propeller is round and made in quite flexible plastic, you can cut it in a 15cm diameter for example and sand the edges to make them round.

Giga’s duct system is very nice

1 Like

So can you give me the Modell with tue rounded prop? Diameter 150mm or 140mm or what’s a good diameter?

Thanks

1 Like

Ok my parents are ok with my plastic prop and I will always drive with helmet neoprene and life jacket

Honest opinion:
Is it safe enough?

2 Likes

@Mat have you fallen onto a spinning plastic prop so far and if so : how much did It hurt and injured you?

1 Like

The only time I touched the prop was when swimming back to the board, so it was stopped…
When I fall the reflex it to release the trigger… by the time I hit the water, i’m pretty sure the prop is stopped.

The most dangerous for me is really hitting the mast or the wings… but it never happen to me with the e-foil. It happened a lot with kite-foil and surf foil though, and usually results in bruises, no open cuts so far… :slight_smile: so helmet and impact vest/life jacket are definitely a good idea to start…

and Fusion has edges quite round… you can round them even more, the drawing should be easy to modify.
I covered my first one with carbon fiber which added some thickness and makes it even rounder.

2 Likes

I just print that prop :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m looking at building a pressure sensitive kill switch under the EVA of the rear pad using pressure sensitive sheet.
The surface will be big enough to always have pressure on it at waterstart or riding. There is a lot of option, multiple FSR sensors or better resistive film, you can laminate it to any size with a plastic film laminator.
It will cut power as soon as you fall off the board

2 Likes

After about 30 sessions efoil, the only time my toe was really close to the propeller maybe touched it was last week. I was riding in the sea with 40-60cm waves, the board was taken in a big one at low speed and flipped, it was really scary hopefully I stopped the trigger one second before… so yes it can happen

1 Like

My area of expertise is o-ring seals and high pressure pumps and system integration. (I built sorry designed pumps for Los Alamos Nuclear test facilty that work to 2000 PSI and the largest or rather deepest well was 3000 PSI equivalent) my best friend and co-worker was almost killed when a tech subsituted a brass ferule in a stainless steel fitting and the stainless steel pipe shot by my buddy’s head propelled by 2000 or 1000 psi i forget because I had warned the big giant to always check that our idiot boss didnt use brass fittings on stainless steel pipe due to the rockwell hardness incompatibility…(buddy says to me "Pete I (effing checked it was stainless on the outside how the bleep could I know he put brass ferrules inside the fitting …he had a new job a week later)

I was helping VeFoil with some very basic o-ring design based on the above experience for the selfish reason of wanting to buy a kit from him and to know it would not get water into it… and he went with an impeller design specifically to avoid the above legislation and jets which the durajet is but it has a massive impeller for the horsepower and it avoids a redirect because its a true bypass inline design which provides slightly better efficiencies that jet skis for example…

It also uses a symmetric external duct to solve a weird compressibility problem that jet ski cannot get around due to the above and also having a top speed of 50 knots as a default…(this means the design is optimized for speed not efficiency…)

I spoke at lenght with the owner of durajet about by other patents and he is an exceedingly clever man and he has optimized his design for safety for the military so you cant hurt yourself on the impeller even if you try (night missions, you stick your hand in at idle and lose a finger-the design is safe for the “blind”…anyway…

the thing at the back forget the name, also eliminates the equivalent of ring tip vortice losses which gives a boost to efficiency COMBINED with the totally parallel flow direction…

Because durajet has an impeller it is exempt, I feel the conventional tiny impellers at 20 000 rpm are kidna idiotic because the efficiency is as to the square or cube of the speed so knowing durajet’s work at 2000-3000 rpm due to the gear reduction…a ten to one ratio…

Jezza i also proposed to VeFoil that I get my engineer to just design two gears in a hub with the 7/16 drive shaft in the foil mast exactly like boats with a finished cost of $200-400 based on Honda’s 2 hp unit…

it would save a fortune in wire, and water in a lower end unit is inevitable, why we drain them every year in cold dark canada…

I gave up on this because the market is too small and I was volunteering but Felix’s parents are right about the safety and a total rethink would SOLVE SO MANY OTHER PROBLEMS

Ie put a flat high torque motor in the board like a pancake so a LOT has to go wrong before you get water damage…

I like problems to solve but rather than fixing a myriad of problems I always first research the bleep of existing IP espeically expired patents like durajet then buy the parts as good will or hire them for the new project…NO ONE says no to new royalties on a burgeoning new sport or product IE: a well desinged electric torqueedo where someone manned up and hired a good mechanical engineer to do a lower end unit PROPERLY…thus elminating these uber high gear reductinos things BY locating a high torghe low rpm motor flat aand OUT of the water…

When I was sixteen I removed a pto cover due to damage the next year I gave my bosses son a ride on my tractor and my shoe lace got caught in the GREASAE in time for me to save my leg

That is what I was thinking about when I put my two cents worth into this discussion with Felix

I have both legs and ankless so far so i want that for veryone :stuck_out_tongue:

BUT for advanced riders SURE develop a super high efficiency carbon fibre race prop…

My frustration was as follows if you just want efficiency go with modern design and RPM like the torqueedo (the IP is PUBLIC domain)

if the above requires a gear case that is far simpler than what you gentlmean on the forum are capable of complexity wise (the builds are truly impressive) yorus as well, I was very impressed tbh

or being selfish here…have a durajet plastic housing so us nanny types in canada get to play as well and for that the tiny 55 mm impellers are horifically inefficient

btw i type at about 60 wpm hence the long rants :stuck_out_tongue:

you guys have got this but IMO humble opinion a total rethink is possibly opportune?

So i just tried my foil and I had not enough power. Im pretty frustrated now because I don’t know where the failure is. My batterie should be capable of delivering 120amps but I think I only got 30-40. When I was on full throttle the motor started to “pump”. Esc or battery fault?

Thanks

What do you mean by pump? Is it pulsing and not delivering constant throttle?

Yes exactly no constant throttle + not enough power

with the smaller 3d printed prop?
you changed anything else?