Antispark switches

Wondering what antispark switches everyone is using. I have used all the flipsky ones and they don’t last very long and stop working after 3 months or so.

What other options are there?

I have built them on my own. Working good, only problem with all those antispark switches is that they do not survive the motor recognition wizzard of the vesc tool.

I simply have two connectors on my battery: One staight to battery, one via 20 Ohms resistor. Plug the second one in first → Peak current is limited by resistor, then plug in “main” connector.
See also here: Link

1 Like

I have three dead Maytech versions if that helps.

I had a flipsky one fail - so on my latest build I’ve been using a JBD 100amp BMS, and turning power on and off via the app or switch. Has been working great so far, and means one less parts to buy.

1 Like

I didn’t even use the wizard and they fail on me

What a shame, I was going to try a maytech one next.

Well…at least you saved the cash.

It’s so simple to make an anti-spark. Use an Arduino or pi to trigger two relays. First relay triggers through a resistor and 1 second later a high current relay triggers.

1 Like

I works but the relay will add 500g of weight. Anti Spark connectors are much lighter.

No ways will it weight that much.
Use the same one lift uses:

Which only weighs 180g

Ok, 180g seem reasonable, mine weights about 400 g. Still some extra weight and extra complexity.

Oh fully pointless if you just use a simple anti-spark connector as a switch! Lightest and best option!
But some like the ‘fancier’ push button approach. I guess with the relay you can also technically do clever things like have a leash kill switch that kills throttle and then the power too.

@Jezza. Thats how I do it.

I use a small reed switch to turn on the power supply with a magnet for the arduino. The arduino runs some code, turns on a small relay to pre-charge. It than checks over the CAN if pre charge is done. When okay, it turns on the main relay (yes an EVC135).
As the Arduino is connected to the CAN, it’s also checking the VESC temperature, and turns on a pump if needed to cool the VESC.
The Arduino is also checking the voltage, and when needed it will sound an alarm (using a bone conduction speaker connected to the main box)
Besides this the Arduino is also logging usage time.

I just use a qs8 connector that is antispark and no additional switch needed. Plug in, close the lid and go.

Not sure your are doing this, but you don’t really want to disconnect the battery with a switch while the motor is moving. Voltage spike could kill ESC or any other kind of switch.

3 Likes

Sketchy but quite possible. For memory purpose, @jeffM cuts the motor supply with a Kilovac positionned between ESC and motor. He as been doing it for several years now and no problem.

I’ve made my own antispark plugs for Amphenol connectors.
'FlyTomaz - Second build - #34 by flytomaz

2 Likes

Because links tend to be inaccessible for more and more members, it is useful to write a single quote ie ’ just before… 'FlyTomaz - Second build - #34 by flytomaz

2 Likes