Back to the basics

Hi, im new, i been reading but got some terms dificult to digest. for examples, i get that the recomendet baterries are the li-ipo 1860 and somthing, (someone complete please) but i dont get the reference, i seen this 14s 20p something, someone can explain please?, and if a put 80 of this in a pack, this rise the total amp? and which motor will be recomended for 100 something kilos man?, it would be usefull to know the name of the really cool conector that are rectangular. sorry for the sucking english, im Latino, Greeting

I don’t know a lot myself, but I’ll offer this to get you started and let you google the rest. :wink:

The “s” is series and the “p” is parallel.

Series increases the voltage, parallel does not, but increases the capacity. (Efoil guys help me out here and point him to a battery tutorial, I’m a surfer and winger!)

@Surfcowboy with that i get that S represent the quantity of batteries i put in a line, the voltage increases its 1+1 ratio? or have some coeficent involve. So the P is the quantity of lines you put on?
and the total amp? i read on something of 40000 amp something? correct me someone if im wrong please.

Yep so there are S and P numbers that describe battery configuration. P is parallel, so in a typical 14S10P battery, there are 10 cells connected in parallel, and then there are 14 of those parallel groups connected in series. There would be a total of 140 individual cells in that pack.

Paralleling cells increases the amp output of the pack. Two cells in parallel are able to produce double the amps than one cell. Putting parallel sets in series increases the voltage of the pack. The output voltage is simply a sum of P group voltages (3.6V per group, nominally).

Take a look at the battery threads in forum.esk8.news and endless sphere. There is tons of good info there.

1 Like

@jkoljo thanks get it clearer now, so witch would be the mah of a nominally p group of a 14s10p?

Depends on the cells. The capacity, mAh, only increases with P count. So 10P pack, made of 4000mAh cells, would have 40000mAh of nominal capacity.

The S number has nothing to do with the mAh capacity. However, you are better off looking at the Wh number, it makes batteries more comparable since different setups running at different voltages can use vastly different Ah, and still have the same running time. Wh considers pack voltage and capacity together.

I will be posting a super useful battery designer excel soon. It will help you choose your parallel cell count and cell type (Make/Model) based on real world cell performance data from Mooch.

1 Like

its way to ring that post to me?

I can try to remember to remind you. Otherwise just check back in a week or two, you should be able to see it in my profile.