Begginer E-Foil Build

its actually cheaper to buy everything seperate for some reason…
Just got the 75300 water cooled, new 65161 with thread, and remote for 775 after that big shipping punch

I thought you said you were going with 65161 motor.

The 65121 is 1/2 the $ of the 65161 so that’s likely where your pricing difference came from.

Sorry I meant the 65161.

I’m curious how you got a Flipsky 65161 with prop, 75300 and their VX3 for less than the Group 7 price?

here was the cost breakdown

The remote adds $150 to the price in the group order, while only being $100 on site, etc

1 Like

Thanks for that.

My assumption was the “Group” pricing was better than individual part discounted pricing.

I went for the Group 7 deal and am quite pleased with the products. I tank tested the 65161 120 motor with the included prop a few days ago and after some gentle run ups I gave it full throttle and expelled most of the water in my tank in a few seconds. LOTS of zoom zoom!!

Buyer beware on the pricing I guess :grinning:

yeah i was going to go with the group pricing too, I just wanted to stay below $800 as I had a giftcard I wanted to use. You arent saving that much by doing individual pricing, but you do save. I also went without the prop ($30 cheaper) as people said the included prop does not perform well / optimized for efoiling. Have you finished ur efoil? Im super stoked to work on mine!

1 Like

Not finished yet but closing in. Ice just went of our lake a few weeks ago so not in a BIG a hurry :sunglasses:

Looking forward to the adventure as well!! :grinning:

Mind posting some pictures / build details/spec? Would love to know the route u took / skills

Route was fairly common I think. I looked at the Foildrive product and after reading a bunch of posts here I decided that I could likely spend less $, get a more versatile product and have the enjoyment of putting it together over a long winter.

I had a wing foiling setup already so just made something that I can hopefully use to get up wing foiling with less effort, have the safety factor of self rescue and on no wind days have an efoil to play on.

I have used the recommendation from Flipsky to do the initial configuration via PPM direct from PC to USB of the VESC (in my case 75200) then went immediately to a UART connection via their Bluetooth module and Android tablet so I can make changes or monitor RTD near or on the water, UART mode also displays more info on the VX3 display. I had some initial configuration quirks but traced that to a bad solder connection on one of the motor wires. PPM is fine I just wanted what I felt was value add from UART.

Enjoy the learning journey.

A scam borrowed from supermarket guys - the pack of two jars of mustard at “an incredible price” is often more expensive (price per quantity lbs, kg, flo) than that of two jars taken individually. Beware :wink:

Hey mind I ask one more thing. Or just in general to anyone. I’m going to be buying some foil stuff from Slingshot today, we have a partnership with them and we get 50% off everything. I was looking at this:

However I’m not sure if the wing size is appropriate for efoiling? I’d he getting it for $300 though, which is a deal. Should i just get one of the $1000 surf foil bottoms instead? Would that be worth it? Thanks so much for the help, yall.

Curious about what you decided to do. :grinning:

$300 for that setup would be hard to pass on.

The Hoverglide product is easily altered by having multiple foils for different riding profiles of course that involves :heavy_dollar_sign::sunglasses:

Well, i think for that price you can’t go wrong and you can probably sell it without loss if it’s not a good match for you.

1200cm2 might be a bit small to learn on for many but the shape looks oriented at a more stable ride and it’s a low aspect ratio wing.

Also given your previous experience with surf and foiling i can’t see that it will be a problem for you.

Alright, fuck it I’ll go for it. Keep in mind through I could get something like this for same discount:

Would it be worth just getting those for long run? It’d end up being like twice as much so idk. @Foilguy

Depends a little on what you want to achieve with the efoil. The small wing won’t be as efficient. You could always get the kite setup for cheap and buy a larger front wing in the future.

Well analysis/paralysis is something I suffer from as well :sunglasses:

My opinion for what it’s worth😳

Budget issues aside I would go for the larger front wing version. Logically get you up foiling sooner and would also let you wake foil.

I think all the components are identical other than the front wing (I would confirm this before purchase) so you could go at it from two ways

Buy the Kite version for $300 and add a larger front foil $ ? so you could have a range of capability

Buy the Fsurf version for $600

I think I’ll do the first one, and get different foils, the price difference ended up being like 400 bucks, and I’m not sure if that’s worth it, considering the only difference is the front wing and it’s painted a bit black…

Well you could hold off on second larger foil to see if Kite version works for you

If you have a long term 50% off that could work out or perhaps you can find a used larger front foil.

Thanks, yeah currently in college so this is already a big purchase for me (getting wake stuff too). I feel like it’s super unwise to cut corners with this build, but I feel like this is a situation in which it would be generally acceptable to do so. Especially considering I can just buy more front fins for different feels.

I don’t see the sponsorship going away anytime soon, so if I ever do decide to upgrade in the future, I’ll do so

1 Like