BMS IN June 2023: some advice needed

Hi,
I read some old post here about BMS or not. But these are old post and technology has evolved.
Does something change now and new tech BMS is more reliable ? I really appreciate if reader could share recent experience with BMS (ant, dally,…)

Thanks for help !

I personally use a BMS and would recommend others to do so as well. LLT BMS units are well made and reliable as far as I know. I see more risk in constantly plugging and unplugging a BMS than just leaving it connected. And having it constantly connected makes sealing the pack easier.

Thanks @jkoljo for answer. Have you got a link to recommand. I will use Flipsky 65161 + Flipsky 75350.

I use this one 11S 12S 13S 14S 15S 36V 48V 58.8V 60V smart BMS with Bluetooth function UART communication 20A to 60A constant current – LLT POWER ELECTRONIC

The 14S 30A variant. Bigger amperage makes the BMS bigger as well. The 30A variant allows charging at up to 20A, which is ok for me. I have an 8 amp charger. I discharge the battery directly (fused ofc) and not via BMS, so the max output current spec doesn’t really matter.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m surprise with the low AMP it could take. Which motor/ESC do you use please? Perhaps there is more info on your build page - I don’t want to bother you with all my question :slight_smile:

I use the FS65161 120kv motor and a MakerX HI200 ESC. You’re right, there is more info in my build page :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need to digg in more in detail - this not clear for me now everything about BMS / Circuit breaker and so on. Especially if it s possible to have an NFC switch or not.

Well, I have it wired exactly like the BMS manufacturer instructs, but I don’t discharge the battery through the BMS provided output. I have separate connections from the battery main leads to my VESC. The positive lead has an inline automatic fuse in it. I use it as a main power switch.

Is your plan to authenticate with NFC? Maybe you could add a separate microcontroller to the system to read NFC tags and drive a contactor via a mosfet. The contactor would be inline with your fuse to cut/connect power to the VESC. The microcontroller and contactor could be driven by the normal BMS discharge output. This would yield you over discharge protection as well, regardless of whatever the VESC does.

Let us know about your NFC plans… for some purposes the VESC kill switch input or CAN/UART communications would be more appropriate. The latter could even give you three sets of keys with different power levels or similar advanced things.

You give me so much details - thanks ! My idea is to have a secure system when you fall. I know Esc on Rc plane and some autopilot like ardupilot but vesc is new for me.
When I was writing about nfc it was like a key in mind to activate/deactivate été the circuit.
But it seems to be quite more complicated.
Thanks for your help

In that case you can forget about NFC and just use the VESC kill switch feature + a waterproof switch. I think there are a few examples of that in this forum.

For example Magnet operated kill switch? (around the end of the thread)

Super ! Thanks for link ! It s what I look for :slight_smile:

1 Like