Board Design/Shape

Hello everyone I am mostly done with shaping my board but have ran into a few problems. Mainly I am not happy with how the tail looks, no matter how many different ways I did it I can’t get it to look good. This is where I am at now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am worried I am going to screw up the blank overthinking this!

A zoomed out pic is needed to understand how it looks (and some details what you want to see/achieve and why you’re not happy with it)

It’s hard to get a perspective from the picture, is that the top side rear of the board?

Dang Gareth! That is a really sweet looking board. Thank you for posting. I have built 3 e-foil boards (none vacuum bagged), but I am using the picture of your board as my inspiration for my winter 2023-24 project. Just one quick question for you… What did you end up using for your hatch cover? I learned the hard way to individually seal everything inside the hatch, but I was hoping that you might share what you used for your hatch covers on your boards typically? I have started shaping the exterior of the board, but still have some play in the dimensions of my hatch.

Lastly, It would appear that you left an opening in the back 25% of the hatch, did you use that for cooling? I had planned on doing something similar on my current project board, so just thought I would ask.

Thanks again @Larsb and @Gazman79 for your recommendations on this thread

Hi,

Good timing :grinning: Im actually in the process of re-designing my hatch, currently im using a 3mm ply laminated both sides with carbon and bolted down with 16 bolts onto a D shaped seal, its pain in the ass to get the battery in and out, there is a round screw down hatch used for plugging/ unplugging the battery. Also because the hatch is so thin it flexes and lets tiny amounts of water through occasionally.

The modifications im looking into now include cutting out a groove around the current hatch mounts and inserting a 3d printed hatch seal surround with hinges and latches. The new hatch will be 8 to 10mm thick laminated many times so it does not flex.

This is a 3d printed test piece showing the profile and D shaped silicone seal.

The section in the back of the hatch area has an aluminium box housing the ESC, the aluminium box pokes through the bottom of the board and sits flush with the underside, this cools the ESC.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes