Boost Surfing FIN greatly inspired by Efoil

I bet you are right Jezza. And I think it may highlight an important business principle: it’s not about designing the better mousetrap, it’s about marketing it successfully.

I am obsessed with foiling, can’t get enough … but the tech threads on here are so intense, I can’t follow them, much less design my own motor assisted unit. So if someone is able to take the info users are sharing here and make something sellable, that’s a valuable service. Though personally I am too cheap to buy one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, foildrive.com.au brings some nice points:
1- a working plastic folding prop !
2- a Maytech remote control mount that adapts to paddle shafts or windfoil booms

In August 2019, I submitted the e-wingfoil idea. Happily, it was taken up and implemented. Long live foildrive.com.au who dared to reuse a Maytech remote control and who will surely replace it soon by a more adapted solution.

ewingfoil_2

There’s a much less complicated and lighter way to get up wingfoiling in light wind. Use a big wing and pump the wing and foil like crazy! I’ve gotten up in 8 knts this way before and any less you can’t ride the wing anyway.

The real advantage in wing foiling would be figuring out how to get up on a really small board (20L) when its moderate wind, but I feel the best solution for that would be some kind of floatation device.

1 Like

The battery box looks kind of nice anyone know where it is sourced from?
Would like to build a similar contraption.

It’s just a clear lid ip67 junction box with latches. Quite a lot of them online if you Google the right thing.

That is what I precisely want to avoid as it destroys your wing, this way wears it out prematurely.

It is also exhausting and at times only marginally successful. I figure just the slightest boost would help to break the water tension … once the board breaks the surface, you don’t need much wind to stay up.

But the goal for me is actually more about sup foiling … days when the waves are standing up but not quite breaking and you just barely can’t catch them. This could open up spots otherwise unrideable. Meaning: all the waves for me Me ME. :slight_smile:

and another, maybe halfway between the boost fin and foil drive, at $900ish.

https://www.aquamarina.com/bluedrive-s/

Not even close to an e-foil of course, but would it have enough juice to get up on step to ride swell, wing, or pump from there?

240W is not enough, might help a bit in swell but in flat water you need between 2000 and 3000W to get on the foil (depending on weight, board volume and wing). I think everthing below 1000W is not a big help.

Thank you, that helps…so W is one of the main measures? (probably a super kook question)

I see boost fin is 800W…that’s more in ballpark.

Foil Drive didn’t give W on their website but other thread says motor is 6374 flipsky…so that appears to be 3200-3500W

image Source on this pic? Reverse image search leads back here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Credit to Paul aka @rcjetman in April 2019. It is his profile picture.
'Mini motor for SUP surfing

1 Like

Did your idea work, using the Boost fin to get up on foil? Would really appreciate hearing about your experience so far. Thank you.

still waiting for the Boost fin to arrive. These kickstarter things can take a long time, hasn’t helped by Covid. I have at times wondered if it might actually be a scam, where they are using $ from new orders to pay for the refunds of those who ask. But I decided to stick with it and see.

The more I know about efoils, the less confidence I have that it will work … really low power compared to the FoilDrive 9374 type motor. However, where I want to use it is those “just barely” days, where you can almost get into the wave or up on the wing foil, but not quite, and maybe just a slight “boost” will get you on foil. I will post a report within 24 hours of getting mine! :slight_smile:

Any updates? Some of these are now in customers hands. Curious if anyone has attempted to foil with one.

based on facebook group post, not yet…
also waiting on mine to get a bit extra push during light wind wingfoiling :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got mine, mounted it on longboard, went for a brief paddle. It’s pretty slow and gutless. I think it may be fun for my wife to use surfing, though still TBD how much drag the prop and fin thickness will present, we’ll see how badly it affects surfability. But for surf/sup foiling I think it’s not even close – foil drive has 5-10x the power I figure. For winging, could it provide that tiny little big extra, when you’re pumping like mad but just can’t get unstuck? Maybe.

While the Boost was in its very long production hiatus I repeatedly offered to the producers to trial it for foiling, help them open up that market maybe. They showed no interest. That may be because they have no interest in foiling, but I am leaning towards them knowing it doesn’t have enough juice, so not wanting to go there.

@juandesooka I had the same experience and offered to help them get thigs sorted but they also had no interest. I eventually lost faith and asked for a refund after 2 years of waiting.

Thanks for the update.
I met the Boost guys at an expo in Long Beach.
I also got the vibe that they don’t really care about foiling uses.

My hope is that Boost + a paddle would open up more possibilities with SUP foiling. Smaller waves, smaller boards and easier time getting out into position.

Just posted in one of the FB groups. Will see if there is any feedback

I used mine for surfing a couple times now. it’s pretty good to get back out, works well to fight the current. and fun to get in the waves early, but then it really has a lot of drag…

I wouldn’t use it all the time, but it’s a fun toy from time to time :slight_smile:

didn’t mount it on a wingboard yet, i need to build an adapter for that…

1 Like