Build a wing quiver, 5m and 4m or 3m for SoCal?

Ok so looking for another wing for the higher wind days here (20-30mph mostly.)

I have a Swing 5m and am 140lbs (63kg.) I’m comfortable on this from about 12mph to low 20’s. At my weight, 20 is rocking with a 5 and I’d like to drop a size.

The question is do I go to 3m or 4m? I’m leaning towards 4 as I think that might be an easy overlap and 20-30 is about the best days we see in SoCal.

But 3 would give me more range on top for trips to where the wind really rocks. What’s the real world low end on a 3m wing at my size? Or am I fine with a 4 and just borrow or buy a 3 when I make it to the islands?

1 Like

get the 4. Solve the 3m problem when you get to it! Plus wings sheet out so nicely

1 Like

Better to be overpowered than under. I love my 3.5m A-wing. It is such a joy to handle. The PPC wings come in 3.8m and get solid reviews also.

1 Like

Not a bad idea there. I was just watching the blue planet podcast yesterday and it’s all about that wing basically.

I love my 4.5 Armstrong which has worked well from 12 mph to 20+ for me (180lbs), but it’s a lot to handle on the stronger days. I already did get a smaller front wing on my foil which did help feel less overpowered, but a 3.5 A-wing or similar is my next purchase to further extend my comfort range.

1 Like

I ordered a 4.5m A-wing to complete my quiver. The 5.5 is a handful when it’s nuking! Love that tiny 3.5, you will too

1 Like

Mate, get 3,8 PPC. You’ll love it, but, guess what, u are gonna get 2,8 PPC later :grin:

2 Likes

Thx, yes, I’m looking in the 4-ish range. The comment about better to be overpowered is right on and we seldom see 30+ and when we do I’m staying home. :joy:

1 Like

I scored a 4m BRM used so I’m set. I will add though that I’m finding the better you get the smaller wings you can ride in lighter conditions. I’m hoping my 4m becomes my go to wing.

1 Like

At cabrillo my 3.5 is my go to!