Components guide for DIY eFoil

Which foil is better for the best range?

S27 Jet MA Foil Semi-Complete 1600 (naish.com)

S27 Jet Foil Semi-Complete 1250 (naish.com)

It allso depends on your skill level, which foil is the best one. I don’t know those foils but RL foils are also reasonably priced, there is a 1150 and 1600 foil for efoils. Both are efficient and not too difficult to ride. If you send an email directly to René, you might get a special price for builders. Search the forum for his contact details.

1 Like

On their website, prices are indicated in euros, and the list of dealers only includes European countries. It seems that their trade is intended only for Europe.

Bought 16S 11P 60V 90A battery. Weight 10 kg, as advised here, the heavier the better for beginners.

Looking for air cooled waterproof VESC.

Curious about where you got the heavier the better advice from?

The question doesn’t make sense.

No VESC is “waterproof” - some are more water resistant than others but pretty sure it wouldn’t be a good idea to completely immerse a powered on VESC.

All VESC are air cooled - some are designed to be watercooled but that doesn’t mean they are not air cooled or you have to use the watercooling feature.

You would never hear you need a heavy bike as a beginner, it’s not true and the same goes for efoils. Just learn to ride on an appropriate wing and stab, then upgrade. Lower weight is simply better.

1 Like

I’ve read a lot of threads on this forum and don’t remember where I got it from.

I think water cooled VESC looks different than air cooled. There is no radiator. IMHO waterproofing is a poor conductor of heat.

I was surprised myself when I read about this. But if this well-known site advised so, then I did as they advised.

This is a Watercooled VESC

This is the same VESC that isn’t watercooled.

The watercooled version has a thick aluminum base that allows water flow through it that helps dissipate the heat buildup in the vesc. The thick metal base also does the same thing to a lesser degree without water flowing through it.

The watercooled version also has potting material to aid in making the device more water”resistant” from small amounts of water that can accidentally happen. It is NOT waterproof!

There isn’t any “radiator” unless you devise one.

Each vesc or ESC has a heat range it’s designed for. The heat buildup happens when you run power through the device. With foiling the power flow is higher during the initial get up foiling phase or you are running at constant high power demand. If the heat buildup temp goes above the capability of the device it either fails completely or shuts itself off to prevent the destruction. In either case the rider finds themselves stranded with no power to the motor.

Some setups and rider technique don’t need any additional cooling effort but that’s rare. Typically the designer implements some additional heat dissipation method.

Keep reading as there are lots of build “cooling” examples here.

You also seem to be buying things without a good understanding of what you’re reading. Your latest example is you claim that you read advice here to get a heavy battery. I don’t believe that you read that here or likely on any forum so you are mistaken on that point.

I wonder @Pavel, maybe you read here somewhere that a beginner needs more battery capacity than an experienced efficient rider. The idea being that frequent falls and starts will use up the battery much faster than being up on the foil. So one might select a larger (heavier) battery for a beginner. The added weight isn’t a benefit though, just a price to pay for more run time. This is a diminishing return though, an efoil is already an upside down pendulum and added weight will make it harder to balance.

It seems I made a fatal mistake. But there is no going back, I can’t return the battery to the seller. It’s too bad there’s no list of recommended components.

Here’s my updated list, with prices. Starting components for beginners:

• Motor - Flipsky 65161 120KV, Round shaft with thread - $200.00 + $30 shipping local.

• VESC - Flipsky 75200 - >$90 from China or >$160 local

• Remote - Flipsky VX3 - $73 local

• Propeller - Fliteboard Propeller, $25 + $10 shipping local

• Batteries - unknown

• Foils - unknown

• Boards - unknown

Perhaps this will be useful to other newbies who read my thread.
When I have a better understanding of batteries, foils and boards, I will add to my list.

1 Like

Regarding battery packs, there’s a nice thread and a few linked YouTube videos by @ludwig_bre
https://foil.zone/t/efoil-battery-build-video-tutorial/18891
Your 16S11P could be modified. But cutting a pack open is something that requires caution and the sort of thing where you take deliberate safety steps to avoid accidentally shorting cells.

1 Like

16s11p is ok for a battery. Just use it as is dont bother modifying it. You will need the capacity when learning, once you ride efficiently you can upgrad to a smaller battery and use the bigger one for Touring. I use 16s14p with no problem.

1 Like

Would you have a link for those 4 first prices ?

A bit dramatic but given you are mixing electricity, water and the human body there is risk of injury or worse if you don’t put this all together properly.

I have a suggestion.

Go to an efoil dealer (many provide demos
or even instruction) or find someone who will let you try their rig.

This will let you determine if this activity is really something you will enjoy and also see what a complete rig looks like.

Not to sound harsh but I have the feeling that you don’t have the DIY mindset or skill required to get a rig put together.

2 Likes

The batteries also cost me $300 along with a built-in BMS. The seller discounted it by $100 when he knew I needed it for a DIY project and added a charger for free.

3 Likes

The first time everything goes wrong. But I will try and learn from mistakes.

1 Like