Computer Engineering Team Build @ Santa Clara University

Thank you for the reply! It’s very tricky to mount in the red location with no foot strap holes. I am thinking of doing 2 strips of foam under each side of the aluminum enclosure so there is a small air gap between between the top of the battery box and the bottom of the aluminum enclosure. It’s nice to know there is temperature control in VESC as I am anticipating some heat issues (to be fully resolved in a future version).

I can get creative and figure out a way to mount the box in the red location if you think that the stacked rear configuration will be unridable. The top of the battery box is not very strong and should not bear weight. Board is 140L. I did a “test” (in my living room) standing on the board and it feels pretty good with your rear foot up against the box and front foot where the box was before. I think you would be able to start kneeling in front of the box. I should also mention the fuselage was drilled moving the front wing forward slightly and I plan to mount the foil fully forward. I am also thinking with the weight of the battery in the rear it will require more forward weight giving you space between the battery. It certainly is convenient to get replacement straps and mount as pictured but as mentioned this is not where I shine so if it must be moved I will get creative and do it.

You made two pics , first one with the foil attached and the board upside down , the second one with the foil on top of the box which I think is a bit more in front
So follow @pacificmeister , box should go where the board change color , on top of the carried handle ( center of gravity ? )

Bets are opened :slight_smile:

I think I can mount the box by using the last foot strap hole of the front sequence and the first of the rear sequence to get it where it has been recommended and straddle it while riding. I’m having trouble understanding the first part of your reply if you are asking me to take more pictures (I am happy to if needed).

I know you are going for just a demo so I’d move ut firward to the new spot and just ratchet strap in down. Strap around board wont have much drag so should be ok for demo and down the line you can add in more hold points

1 Like

Got it. I think spanning a ratchet strap between each section of holes will get the box to the red location. The one thing I’m still uncertain about is that the box cannot bear weight so laying on it is not an option. With this information is it still recommended to move to the red location or keep it to the rear of the rider?

Best,
Peter

Id move it for demo and while lyingbyou xan support yourself do no real weight is on the box. Wobt ge easy but doable!

Thank you for the input everyone. I decided I am going to install 3 ratchet strap loops. The two boxes can be stack mounted in the original, red location and rear location. I will start with the red location and this way have the flexibility to move it around on-site. I will post pictures later in the day after a trip to the store for more straps. Thanks again everyone.

Update: Moving to actual ratchet straps means the ratchet part is not as small and negligible as with my current ones. I will only be installing one loop (pacificmeister red location) and bringing the tools to move it around if needed.

should work out the finest!

1 Like

Connectors done! Youtube recommended this amazing thumbnail of me checking if my GoPro was recording, how could I not :grinning:

1 Like

Got the input polarity wrong on the VESC, puff of smoke, heart sank. Gave it a second go lights came on and laptop connected. I am the luckiest man alive.

An additional note: I could have not shared this video and made myself appear flawless. I am not. We are all stupid sometimes but rarely do we share our mistakes. I think this epic fail is a great example of the robustness of Vedder’s design and Flipsky’s implementation. Share your mistakes.

Do you know what smoked ?

It seemed like it came from beneath the board near the large mosfets. There is some blue foam thermal tape under them connecting to the heat sink. I think some of this blue foam might have been cooked, VESC works fine otherwise.

Vesc work fine not under load , I hope everything is fine , but if motor doesn’t take its rpm under load during water test , then check fets on vesc , sorry to say but no smoke without fire for me you are good for another vesc :frowning:

Just be prepared , don’t get on board first once in the water , put the board in front of you , hold it , apply throttle slowly and see if you get get a nice smooth rpm and thrust increase

Do you think Flipsky (200A) or Trampa (300A) would deliver a replacement faster to Santa Clara, CA, USA?

@pacificmeister It’s pretty sturdy boxes won’t go anywhere and can lift the entire board by the strap. It is able to get very tight by pulling hard on the excess strap which compresses the foam. It is auto-locking belt for 700lbs. I am quite impressed by it given the sleek form factor. Can’t say I don’t like the matching orange silicon pad either!

Looks great! Location should be perfect now.

1 Like

Next I will work on the waterproof electrical connectors and cable management.