Cutting open commercial batteries! (Lift, Onean, Flite, etc.)

No one will guarantee the repair, thats why lift replaces the entire battery if its still under guarantee.

Seems like @Matze has succeeded. If you want to use the battery in a non LIFT board, you could remove the BMS and replace the remote including the receiver. Then, providing you locate the faulty cells, depending on the age of the battery, it is not recommended to mix “old” cells with a couple of new ones.

where did you get the bms? Im trying to find one

any chance your interested in looking at my BMS if I mail and pay for your time to repair?

1 Like

hi, did you ever figure out bms repair, i have my batt cut apart, and charged up all cells, but getting fault each time i start bms, sometimes it even charges for a split second. Figure out any testing, or repair for the unit itself? I have run though most of the data on these treads, but reached too many rabbit holes and not a real lead on that info.

Has anybody found a decent plug solution to connect to the battery case, preferably waterproof ?

Whether using the native German ODU Lamtac solution… or not…

https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ODU/S11K0C-P08MFG0-5000?qs=lc2O%252BfHJPVZsoYYZLF%2F3nQ%3D%3D

See also: Lift efoil battery cases for sale - #8 by SoEFoil

MINI-SNAP_K_SERIES_S11K0C-P08MFG0-6000.pdf (odu-usa.com)

This Amphenol connector is also compatible with the ODU ones: https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Amphenol-LTW/FLKC-08FGMS-GCP-213?qs=gZXFycFWdAO5GUuoQtJH2Q%3D%3D&countryCode=GB&currencyCode=GBP

You only have 5 wires here on the battery port. If according to your earlier diagrams for the data cable and charger cable, you would need 6 wires attached to the battery data port…

If the battery port indeed only has 5 wires, then one of the wires on either the charger cable or the data cable is actually not used.

I did a bit more searching…

This pic confirms there are six cables on the data port of the battery:

I can only discern 5 wires? (plug is 8 so some are empty and they don’t make double row microfit connectors in 5)

How did you open that up so cleanly?

There 2 blue cables, one light blue and one dark blue. Then a black, red, green and white.

Have 2 lift batteries that I have opened. I replaced the bad cells but still can get it to work. BMS??? Can someone look at BMS’s?? Or can someone tell me what to look at?

Are the new cells at the same level as the older cells in the pack? You need to get all the rows to the same voltage and then do a reset on the BMS.

Yes. How would you reset BSM? I tried plugging the charger in but as soon as I do the leds turn on red.

If you can, charge the batteries externally with a different BMS. Then they should balance out and be able to run the board.

Then when you plug into the ebox, you should be able to perform a Battery reset.

I did charge each bank separately to get them all equal. I tried once to reset with ebox but may have done something wrong. I will give it another go after recharging everything, it been a few months now.

Has anyone had luck removing the cells from the cell holders on the Lift batteries? Cases are easy to open, but the cells are bonded to the holder together really well.
The only thing I can think of is using acetone to try and chemically melt the epoxy (I assume its epoxy) and then pull them apart…

Acetone won’t dissolve epoxy but would work on acrylics. Somehow i doubt it’s epoxy since that’s usually slow, allergenic and expensive.

After getting a few cells out, I can say it would be more cost effective to buy new cells and just make a new battery…

Acetone does weaken epoxy, but you need to basically acetone bath it.

I can’t believe lift made such unserviceable batteries. They must have lost a fortune needing to replace the entire batteries instead of parts…