Russian­­­­͏­­­

First testing.
This is amazing! Very powerful! Easy planing and foiling on “Medium” throttle, but I keep falling.
On “High” it’s too fast, I immediately fall.
Today I rode for two hours (I was actually trying to learn how to ride); The battery was 60% at the beginning and 9% at the end.

1 Like

The tests are over. Everything works well the first time, to my surprise. I’m satisfied today.

4 Likes

Some videos:

Congratulations!
Tell me, what kind of battery do you have?

Thank you!

Sur-Ron Original Battery 60v 32ah

5400 W

Today I tested the new settings. Are my VESC settings the best for maximum performance? FS 65161, FS 75200, 16S 11P - Build, Repair & Mod - FOIL.zone
It was easy to foil in the “Low” power mode, about 1300W from the maximum 5400W.

1 Like

My efoil is built on a Fliteboard Pro I start foiling face down on the board then on my knees then standing up. I’m not sure how your going to start with the box on the back of the board. Maybe you can make it work if the board is buoyant enough to stand on it but the Fliteboard pro is so small you can’t stand on it. However it’s fun to have a small board when you progress. Nice job on the nose cone I like the shape very good hydrodynamic shape.

The board has a volume of 130 liters, so I start standing or kneeling.

About the nose cone. I’m surprised you noticed this. The design is called Haack Series. It’s good for some aircrafts and rockets, but I’m not sure it’s the best for efoil.
Haack Series nose generator

I was disappointed with the choice of motor: 65161
The motor is huge, heavy and too powerful. I’ve never used more than 3000 watts, even when I’m not foiling, but planing on a high-drag board at scary speeds.

I’m thinking about 6374

I’ve had the same thoughts about the 65161 motor. Heavy and seems to be more power than necessary for me. There may be some good in running the motor well below its limits.
On my next build I am thinking of trying a smaller 65121 motor. The small outrunners can also work, but I’ve read they can be noisier and one feature I love with eFoil is how quiet it can be when the wind is at your back cruising over the water

Yes the 65121 looks good almost half the weight. With the 65161 I am usually running at 20% throttle around a 1000 watts on the foil so the the 121 would be plenty for foiling maybe a bit longer to start. The reduce weight would be nice.

Just note that 65121 seems to be on the limit for torque, judging by the builds i’ve seen here.

Either smaller prop/higher speed, low weight rider or a low drag board seems to be needed for guaranteed takeoff.

1 Like

Once you are up the numbers are pretty negligible. Its the acceleration and take off power requirement that is important. Then another factors to consider is also how aggressively someone rides. During hard carves you can use a lot of power.

1 Like

I would rather have the big 161 and operate in mid power range instead of pushing a small motor to it’s limit. Im 100kg

It also depends on the board size and the foil of your setup. Small boards and small wings need more power to get you on the foil. weather conditions also have an influence on the power you need. It is harder to launch in choppy water than on a flat surface. Board size is probably the biggest factor. As a reference, with my 100l 160cm inflatable and a 63100 motor I can takeoff in almost all conditions apart from choppy waves > 0.5m.

2 Likes

Final prices of the build:

• Motor Flipsky 65161 120KV, Round shaft with thread - $200.00 + $30 shipping from Ebay

• VESC Flipsky 75200 water cooled - $90 from China

• Remote Flipsky VX3 - $73 from Amazon

• Propeller Fliteboard - $25 + $10 shipping from Electricsurf

• Batteries 60V 32Ah - $300 from Facebook

• Foil Naish MA 1600 - $475 from Facebook

• Board Inflatable AZTRON FALCON AIR X - $290 + $60 shipping from OutdoorXL

• Wires, connectors, waterproof cases, etc… - ~$30

Total: $1583

1 Like

Weight of the build in kg:

Board     6.715
Ropes     0.135
Battery   11.04
Esc       1.125
Mast + Motor   4.725
Foil      2.715

Total     26.455

Are there any experiences with a smaller motor?
For my built I’d like to have just a relaxed cruising speed, with a 120l board, an big beginner foil and 80 kg rider, so I’m also looking for a smaller motor .

Not yet, but I plan to test a smaller motor and ESC. I’m choosing between a 6384 motor with an FS 75100 ESC and a motor with an integrated ESC.

I have not really started my next build yet, later this year when the weather gets cold.
There are plenty of eFoil builds that have used the 6384 motors, it’s probably a safer choice compared to a 65121 if you want something small. I’m about 62kg and I usually use under 2kW to take off, so I think I can get away with the weaker 65121, but I have no experience with it yet.

1 Like