Efoil assisted motor

Looks like all the Efoil are doing the same way : propeller close to the wing which creates a lot of drag.
Why not putting the propeller up on the mast or on the board to get an assisted power to lift and then having only the wing working 100% ???

For waves okay, but for all the lake and river riders here this is no option. There was one board recently in the forum with such concept.

Not for wave, for open ocean swell, an empty wide (endless ???) playground, we need to go away from the surf zone where there is no space anymore.

Also, an assisted only for take off Efoil would help people learning how to pump even on flat water. When you see the efficency of those new foil you don’t need much to fly.

I think all the big Efoil comapny are going in the wrong direction…

Simply place the motor half way up the mast. Then when you foil on a swell its out the water. But you will always need a backup ski for safety which pretty much renders the motor pointless then as you’d rather have a lighter setup and just tow with the ski…

I think you underestimate just how much harder it is to pump a 20kg board vs a 3-4kg board!

Yes, lift and fliteboard clearly got it wrong with their products that are so in demand that they can barely keep up with production…
You seem to ignore the fact that 99% of efoil users don’t actually want to ride waves. So it more appears you got it wrong… This response may seem harsh, but its accurate, just look at how many efoilers here foil in lakes and rivers vs waves.

“Yes, lift and fliteboard clearly got it wrong with their products that are so in demand that they can barely keep up with production…
You seem to ignore the fact that 99% of efoil users don’t actually want to ride waves. So it more appears you got it wrong… This response may seem harsh, but its accurate, just look at how many efoilers here foil in lakes and rivers vs waves.”

Maybe they go with the direction to get the money that is for sure and it is ok with that, but I talking about spirit. I think the Efoil right now are fine for flat water. For me the futur is to ride open ocean swell on a foil. I can do it on my sup foil, downwinding is the best feeling ever but not for everybody. It would be nice to get more people doing it as the playground is so big and empty.

Quite hard to admit, but I agree with jezza. Who would have ever thought that 2020 could be even more crazy.
I think it’s kind of optimistic assumption that everybody has an ocean next door. If I had, I would rather go for these inflatable sails for foiling to catch a wave. Pumping in general looks fun on a 1minute yt video but I doubt it’s fun for longer than that. Also: where is the engineering nerdiness without all the tech :slight_smile:

You will see. I compare this to the revolution of Ebike. You have Ebike for cruising and you have Ebike for doing long dirt run impossible to do without help.

Na, you’re wrong. Anything electric is a slug on the water. Too big of a weight penalty.

Ive built one and it is fun, but if there is wind Id rather take a wing or a paddle and not have the extra weight.

2 Likes

Yes the problem is the weight, but you don’t a big battery as it is only for lifting, so you should be able to make it way lighter.

Once again I don’t know anything about making stuff like that, I just wish some bands or some people try to search in the direction.

A winch is also loads of fun!

Build a board and put a wavejet pod in. It won’t get you up on the foil, but it will assist into a wave or swell…

Maybe they will one day. After the demand for efoils dies down, or they up their manufacturing capacity.

I think a reversible mast would be cool. Motor up or down. Would be tricky to engineer but not impossible.

The wire positions make this difficult to design. Therefore, the undrilled masts where you just ajust/change the mast cover length, could be a 1/3-2/3 one… Credit @Gobbla
Mast skirt to pod

1 Like