Michion's Build

A brycej deluxe special :smiley:

Rebuilt redesigned about 3 times over that last 10 years. Had used cncrouterparts(avidcnc) older parts. But now switched to linear rails and ballscrews. But probably shares some ideas with what they have done in the last few years. Cuts around 4.5 x 6 feet. Working on making everything more rigid now.

1 Like

Anything containing sulpher will retard the cure on platinum silicones.

Have a read of the product guide that came with it, its all in there.

I used a white window sealing foam. I think its a PVC foam.
I generally stay away from any black foams or rubbers when using this stuff.

1 Like

Please share which drill bits you are using to mill foam

Thanks Michion, I’ll have to read that over. I got knock off one called molding star :smiley: so I didn’t get all the same info Sorry! Something went wrong! But it seemed work well except for my sulfur issue on my test pieces.

@Vitalii I had found a couple long lengths bits on amazon that worked OK. Probably not ideal for foam, but long cutting length! Sorry! Something went wrong! and Sorry! Something went wrong!

2 Likes

Good thing you tested it first. Smart! :nerd_face: :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

My new Surf oriented motor mast combo.

Looks a little dangerous up there on this board so I think I’ll build another board with a bit more protection from the board.
Could probably use this board if I’m careful.

4 Likes

Are the stripes to keep away the sharks?

Not sure. It’s an Armstrong foil with factory graphics.

I think the story goes that Armie met an graphic designer on an airplane once and she did the graphics for Armstrong foils. Hopefully it keeps the sharks away too.

How is the motor holding on the mast clamp ? Can you share the basic idea ? Coz I see no holes for the screws.
Is the mast clamp a separate part ? Looks like a part of the mast righ now, not sure if you put few layers of cf above and then painted it, trying to figure out…

1 Like

Hello
how did you make your hatch and the sealing of the whole, because I do not see any seal on the photo
Thank you

The seal is blue and it is so beautifully done

@michion the question is : how do you stop from leaking under? the edges are perfect , I supposed you use the hatch to mold it on the board ? Or you did a complete other frame to do the seal ?

The whole motor mount is carbon fiber with two carbon fiber 5mm pins that slide in from the side. These pins fit into groves on the FR motor and hold it. Cant see the pins as they are painted over.

There is a bit of information about how I made the seal further up in the thread @philippe

@Alexandre, I just used a foam tape to seal the inside edge and poured the seal in place. The edge of the hatch was polished to a mirror finish to achieve the best possible seal but in hindsight, this was probably not necessary.

Have you thought about making the prop forward facing? Seems it would actually be safer this way, especially if you put a skeg in front of it.

I am really keen on seeing how this high mount setup works out for wave riding.

I dont like the idea of forward facing props. I feel like they pose too much risk to other water users if I do something stupid or the board gets away from me, for whatever reason.
This was the easiest/lightest way of achieving the goal.
This builds key objective is to keep it light.
My plans are for a sub 6kg 130L 180cm SUP with 7s8p 28Ah battery (3.2 kg) and a VESC 6.
I’ll consider it a win if it comes in under 16kg all up.

I wont be riding this for a while due to injury, but I’ll let you know how it goes Feb/March.

ok, your joint has the perfect surface, you molded it into what, how did you make your mold, once the joint is done you glued it on one side on the surfboard

I see, that’s clear. Thanks !

Oops, I posted up on the wrong thread about this. I am super psyched to see this latest configuration - I’ve been dreaming about something like it for a long time now.

My thought is that it could be used with a very small (and light!) high power battery - maybe something like one of the bigger power tool batteries. I’d only need a few minutes of run-time to catch a few dozen waves. I really don’t mind prone paddling the board out to the break, or maybe just run the prop at a low speed for a little assist. Then use it as a burst to catch a fast moving unbreaking wave. Sometimes the biggest waves come through so fast it can be really hard to catch them even with a standup paddle foil board. No problem to ride them once you’re up on foil though.

Or use it for getting into swell downwinding.

The key would be to keep the build as absolutely light as possible so the board still surfs well.

Tell us more about how you are thinking to use it - like I described or???

The battery I’m going to use is a 7s8p li-ion. Weighs about 3kg.

I’m pretty much going for what you have just described.
The setup from my calculations will be about net 7kg positive, so I’m still going to notice the weight. It should be a lot more enjoyable in the surf compared to a 26kg efoil though.

Take good care of your balls during starting this.

1 Like

Ha, yeah a new board is in progress for this drive. Bit too close for my liking.