Efoil Build in Missouri

I wanted the front end to be square so I could lean it forward on the nose without it falling over, which is really effective. you can see how it performs in my video on youtube, touchdowns are pretty easy, I did give it some camber in the front. I used “great stuff” (a common construction foam in a can in the States) to laminate the pieces of foam and to glue in the foil box which worked really well. I’ve definitely had issues with leakage, which isn’t a huge deal in fresh water. I did ride in the gulf of mexico once, I put the battery and electronics in a dry bag which was effective.

Weight:

Board Only - I don’t remember but it wasn’t bad, I think around 6kg (12.5lbs) - Maybe more since I’ve gotten it a little water logged, I’m hard on things.

Board + Foil - 19kg (41lbs)

Battery - 12kg (26lbs) (44.4v 40ah 2kwh) gives ~2 hour run time

Total Weight - 31kg ( 68 lbs)

Video Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9RhmLanXAs

Hi Matt,

I’ve been following your build- looks great! I’ve just bought a Flipsky 65161 and ordered a 7 x 4.75 Michigan prop with plans to cut down to 6” or slightly smaller based on your advice.

I was hoping you could forward some plans for the pod so I can 3d print a pod. I’m new to building an efoil so appreciate any Advice!

Thanks

Scott

Sorry that was a Flipsky 65121 by the way I have!

Hey Scotty, good luck with your build! I sent you the files for the mast clamp, and another file I used for a prop spacer, I just ended the print when it was about the right size.
-Try that prop without cutting it down first, depending on your weight it might work just fine as is. It isn’t a perfect fit for the 9-spline flipsky shaft, it’s a little loose. I used a little electrical tape on the shaft and it seems to work great.
-I don’t know if mentioned it anywhere above, but I’m now using the waterproof version of flipsky 75/100 ESC, the other is still working great, I repurposed it in an electric riding lawn mower conversion
-Get some conformal coating for all of your electronics. I spray my electronics and connectors with a silicon conformal coating, it really helps when things inevitably get a little wet.
-Make sure you get the bluetooth module for the flipsky ESC, it makes reprogramming super easy vs. using a cable and a laptop.
-The Flipsky vx3 Remote is nice but not perfect, it isn’t very customizable. There are still some aspects of a regular 2.4ghz rc car controller that are difficult to beat.

Link to Mast Clamp Files: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Great build, love it!

It hurts to see that suddenly my build is only the third ugliest/most ridetime optimised build on here :smiley:

You’re in second place and the guy who built a board out of two by fours will probably keep the first place for the foreseeable future😄

1 Like

Advice for future champions. Second place - use the refrigerator door. The first is the entire refrigerator.

2 Likes