Efoil V7 Flipsky 6384 VESC 75100 pro V2 and gong carbon mast V1

The project:

The initial idea was to make the Efoil as light as possible with the lowest possible consumption
and that it can be easily dismantled:
Weight target at 15KG

Technical choice

• one-piece carbon foil gong V1 70CM (it’s the lightest carbon gong mast )
    with a modification of the fuselage to make it compatible with the new versions of
    Stab Gong
  • Gong V2 aluminum fuselage
  • XXLT Fluid Wing ( 1.6 kg )
  • Stab syrus XXL (0.3 kg)
  • Flipsky 6384 motor
  • VESC Flipsky 75100 pro V2, placed on a carbon plate above the mast
  • home made battery with LG 21700 M58T cell (these are the cells with the best power-to-weight ratio)
    capacity of 6AH per cell, objective was to make a 12S7P or 42AH with an antbms
  • use of an M25 cable (2 pins for power + 4 pins for the remote control receiver and 2 pins for the killswitch)

Build Steps:

• The drilling of the mast is much more difficult than on a V2 carbon mast, it is 2 mm thinner,
    so you need a 6MM drill in 600mm, (not easy to find it) , finally found on Amazon.
    The drilling is used to remove the foam inside the mast which is impregnated with resin, so impossible to remove with other techniques
    like acetone or temperature.
  • Modification of the heel of the mast, the initial idea was to modify only the rear of the fuselage
    and to keep the front, so I stayed in full carbon on the mast.

Unfortunately there was too much twist on the carbon socket on the front wing, it was impossible to navigate
    so I modified the heel to be able to install an aluminum fuselage, and the most problem of twisting the wing

• modification of the VESC, installation of an M25 connector
    and radiator modification:

insulating the board with tropicoat

Filling the VESC:

2 TPU gasket install on each side of a carbon square inserted into the board

and the final weight is … 16kg complete
Weight mats and board : 7.6 kg

Weight mats / board and batterie 14.1 kg

and with front wing and stab = > 16kg

Happy to have finished this project and the result. 1 kg heavier than expected
It is easy to put in the water with such a low weight
consumption is only 13 / 14 AH, due to th efluide XXLT
I have the same consumption with my other 65161 Efoils
I have 2 Hours battery life with 4 starts
the consumption for the start is 35 AH

The negative point it’s that the engine is a little noisier than the 65161
If you have some tips to reduce the bass sound, like new bearing or something else I’m a taker

Last information my weight is 69kg, I don’t know yet if this engine will work for a higher weight

and the Final video :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Should have told me, I have a Lift efoil mast that’s almost brand new. Perfect for a DIY project.

Really compact and light build. Looks awesome. I also like this M25 connector, but are the pins not too thin for the motor? I thought you will need a 4mm connector for it.

Could someone tell me if a MT60 3-pin connector would also be sufficient for the Flipsky 6384 Motor? I am not able to find a 3-pin connector that supports 90A

As far as I understand, the fact that 90A comes out of your battery does not mean that 90A will pass through each cable that goes to the engine. 90A seems too much to me for each cable. I have several connections made like this. There are people on this forum who have 3D designs that are a real wonder with MT60.

1 Like

After only 3 sessions with the flipsky 6384 motor
One ceramic bearing failed the small one ref 61800 near the propeller => very noisy
I will replace the 3 bearings with NSK stainless steel bearings
X2 W61800-2RS1
X1 W61900-2RS1

I think the axial load is too high on the propeller side to put ceramic bearings on this side
I’m going to open the bearing to see its condition, I also sent an email to Flipsky to get their feedback on this issue

4 Likes

I bought the M25 cable on aliexpress in 6 square, there are several models of cable

1 Like

Any chance that you still have a link to it? Also sorry to hear about your motor problems. Should I reconsider my motor choice then :confused:

Thank you for the detailed post of your build, I enjoyed reading and liked your focus on weight optimization.

1 Like

New stainless stell bearing replaced and tested on the lake
everything is working well now.
The motor is less noisy than original with the ceramic bearings

2 Likes

Pretty cool build! My next build will be something lighter like this!

1 Like

Fun fact:
I watched video from jesurfing nation about manta foil takeoff - an assist package .
And they mention that the whole setup with +700wh battery weighs 16kg…which is like yours, but yours provides much more ride time…

1 Like

I think we can still reduce the weight (2kg)
On ​​the weight of the wing with a gofoil setup (but is more expensive compared to a gong setup).
And to the board to reduce the carbon layers,
I put 4 layers of carbon under vacuum at the mast level, we can reduce to 3 layers.
but I think that will be the limit, after that we will have to wait for a new generation of battery like graphene battery

1 Like

Hi @jeffM, nice work. Question about the Flipsky 6384 motor. If I am not mistaken, it seems to come with 12awg phase wires? Did you change those out to something larger or just keep them? I was looking at this motor and thought 12awg seemed too small for an efoil application where the motor runs continuously. The 65161 motors come with 8awg phase wires.

1 Like

I just keep them, because I need only 35A max for the “take off” and only 13 / 14 A continuously. (it’s due to the gong fuide XXL T wing)
If you have a smaller front wing perhaps you will need to replace it

1 Like

A small timelapse to the front mast clamp with X1C and PETG

2 Likes

Quite new on this forum, slim, looks efficient. Do you think it is part of your low current draw, 13 / 14A ? Have you tried with the dedicated Fluid XL or L stab ?

I think no,
because I have the same current with my V6 Efoil with a stab veloce 47 and fluide XXL-T
The syrus XXL help only for the stability.

Same manufacturing process with HM (High Modulus) carbon
Just a comparison between Fluid XXL and SIRUS XXL stabs.
The SIRUS has a bit more surface (+4.5%) and a lot more wingspan thus AR (+25%)
that should translate into a bit less drag but better roll stability.
It would be interesting to test a 3XL Syrus stab for slightly less or equivalent drag (AR 11.1) and a lot more roll stability…

1 Like