Fast build ideas?

Given the fast build, I’m leaning toward just sawing the rough cut and then planing it down.

If I had a little more time I’d make up a hotwire rig - I have a suitable adjustable power supply but shaping on this first board has to happen this weekend or I’m hosed.

Keep it up @willo, we are exactly at the same point! lol
The hotwire is faster and will save you a lot of sanding.
I have done mine with just 3 pieces of plywood and an old transformer. I will send you a photo later today if you want.

Glue arrived, and now I’ve got a six inch blank curing in my garage.
Settled for low tech clamping - I put a bunch of truck tires on top of the foam.

My epoxy, glass and fin mounts showed so yeah I think I can do this.

If things go well I’m aiming to shape it this weekend and lay glass by mid week at the latest.

Today was car shopping day, but I did manage to kick off a prop print in carbon PLA on my ender 6 before I left. The 6 is fast, but I figured slow printing would save my nozzle a bit.

Anyhow, Right now I have a 3prop print of this going:

And I found another one that I’m going to print as well, using the same PLA… now if I could find the friggin thread I’d link it…
That one is shared by Michael Parker via google drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rG1Z83AsWAgs2CGrZ_4NfWc5G61rgQsa/view

Two props printed, kicked off another one so I have spares.
Parker’s design seems to have beefier blades, and uses quite a bit more material to create the base of the prop.

My Flipsky controller FINALLY arrived. It did not ship from the US as I expected, but it made it!

I slapped together a hot wire cutter and it worked just fine with a small amount of hanging on the glued sections. Works fine however.
I need to get a spring to add proper tension, so I guess I’ll wire it tomorrow after that.
I decided to use a body board I had as a vertical template, I’m liking the layout to far.

Realized that I should really add a guard to this thing. After hunting a bit, I found this one:

From this thread:

I think I have enough carbon fiber PLA left to finish it up.
I also realized that I could do a rifle case board as a backup plan for this trip. Hmmm.

OK, I’m hedging my bets. I’m still gonna try to get uglyboard together but I’m taking along a rifle case… just in case.

Uglyboard™ is shaped, took quite a while to cut the battery/controller pocket and the mount pocket with an oscillating tool. Didn’t have time to hunt down router bits.

I sort of murdered the mount pocket a bit, but heck with it. I cut a rectangle out for the mounts, test fit with the hydro mount attached, then put in a layer of 6oz glass, mounts, a foam filler in between (which is slightly short) then glassed over that. I’m going to get enough done that I can work on the board while I’m away from my shop.

Oh, sadly greenlight left out the orange resin pigment I ordered. It was gonna be sooooo orange.

1 Like

I managed the base board pretty well and was thinking of just making a topper. However, now I’m gonna go with a $50 hatch from amazon. Looks like I’ll have to build out a mounting lip, but that shouldn’t be too bad if make up the lip out of foam and then glass the thing to the board.

Still UGLY but it’s gonna work!

I’m really only after like a couple months of usage on this board. I’m going to make a nicer build later this year.

Hello,

Any updates on your build? Any photos?

Would love to see it :slight_smile:

I kinda crashed and burned on this - I ended up being super busy just entertaining family instead of having the time to solder!
But… This is still gonna happen, It’s just gotten partially shelved AND I’m looking at some other mods.

Long story short, I road tripped for 42 days and 6k miles. Hit the Keys, OBX, etc.
And… I now own a 46 foot sailboat. This board is gonna happen, but I may reshape a new board over winter.

I’m also eyeballing my efoil parts for a new purpose… Dinghy motors.

2 Likes

Oh the actual board? I did finish the glass work and hatch install. It’s SUPER UGLY. I like it.
I just dropped off my camper for some work, but I’ll grab some pics once I’m back at it.