FD Max VESC tool?

Since The FD Max has a Bluetooth connection for their app, they must be using a VESC. Has anyone figured out how to connect to the FD VESC with the VESC tool app for more personalized settings?

Why do you figure that bluetooth = VESC ?
I’ve had a number of controllers with bluetooth.

True. I’m also assuming that FD stayed with Maytech, who has several VESC programable ESCs.

They are definitely using a vesc. You can see from the parameters that they are programming and from the custom firmware they have from their remote.

I doubt anyone has tried to connect. Their main user base are more concerned with foiling than hacking the electronics. In fact by large their userbase are happy to be guinea pigs with relatively untested elements…

2 Likes

I enjoyed my FD+ for hybrid winging and prone surfing. They brought the product to the masses. Overpriced but worth it for more time on the water. Of course, after using it for a year I wanted more, so I changed the ESC and gained a lot of power. My modified FD+ has more power with the 8s FD batteries than my new FD Max with the 11s. I know they limit power to increase longevity because that’s best practices for production and income.

I’ve attached the screen shots of what happens when connected to the VESC tool. I’m not really a big tech guy, so I’m open to ideas.

My modified 8s FD gets me up on a 980/25L combo without any trouble down to the end of the battery. The Max can do it but it takes more time, more battery, wave assist, and stops being reliable getting up around 40%. If I could get that little extra to match my current setup, that’d be perfect.

So it’s definitely a VESC based off that BLE, but definitely a custom firmware to some extent. If I remember correctly they limit the power to 1350W on the max (that’s according to Ben).

What power you pushing out your FD+ ?

Do you prefer the pod under the board or on top of the board?

I’m not sure of the power, I’m currently using this new waterproof ESC from Maytech. It can actually get me up on my 750/25L, but I usually reserve that wing for winging. I like the 980 better for FDing.

The box on top seems more balanced, but I’m not sure if it’s just because that’s what I’m used to. I do notice the Max box drag in the water, but it’s not as bad as I expected. I like the clean, quick setup of the Max, though.