Field weakening on vesc for increased motor speed

Anyone checked out field weakening on a vesc? Should allow increased rpm past the theoretically FOC maximum. I’d like to try it out but don’t want to risk my working setup yet… Need a backup vesc :grin: or wait until the fall.

Unfortunately it looks like it causes a massive drop in efficiency with typical esk8 motors. That probably applies to our motors as well.

Yes it would lose efficiently compared to a higher kv motor, but only in the range where the lower kv motor couldn’t reach before.

I was thinking you would only need it in for a boost at times, such as when your are normally maxed out on motor rpm. If you never top out your motor rpm you wouldn’t get any loss of efficiently

1 Like

I’m extremely interested in this too. It’s something I’ve always wanted to try on an Efoil. I think it is a much safer platform to test this on compared to dealing with concrete riding a skateboard :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

I will test it with 12s and a Flipsky FSESC 200A.

Field weakening is a gamble on propeller drives due to power increasing exponentially with rpm so it’s best to increase it slowly in steps when you try it. Good luck!

I’m running 10Amp of field weakening on mine currently. With my 14s battery I’m not sure I am hitting the field weakening range in the water - but can definitely tell out of the water. Going to try my 12s next, I was constant running into the top end of that battery, so this may help.

1 Like