Finished UK Efoil build

Hi, I was wondering what are the reasons for the ratio rule? I find my rear foot is never behind the mast. Is it for board stability before takeoff?

20% for mainly aesthetic and mechanical reasons I guess.

Really depend on your weight, the foil you use, wing size and what you want to do with your Efoil.
If you intend to use small high aspect ratio wing in waves you will have to move it quite further forward. If you will use big wings on the flat then all the way backward. An Efoil where your center of lift is between your foot is so much nicer to ride.

Just an update after nearly a year of use, it really has been enjoyable when the wind hasnā€™t been blowing for kite foiling but still being able to ride.

I have changed the hydroil from the Gong Rise M to the Gong curve MT which is 1150cm2, its a bit more efficient and a smoother ride.

Amazingly Iā€™m still using the Flipsky propeller 7.25 x 5 cut down to 140mm, which I think is great, I cruise at 24kmh using 25 amps on 12s and max out at 35kmh.

I still need to build a new battery pack as Iā€™m still using lipoā€™s. All the cells seem very expensive at the moment.

Very nice work! What is the construction of the rectangular hatch you screw down?

Itā€™s 5mm ply sandwiched between 2 layers of 220g carbon on both sides.

Thankyou! I guess that is stiff enough to stand on in your setup. I am planning a similar hatch.

If I was to make a hinged hatch I would probably make it thicker or more stiff.

I like your approach to only open that if you need to and do charge and tweaks through the round hatch. The hinged hatch would be really hard to get right I think. A friend has a lift efoil and he says it leaks once in a while too.

Could you tell us more about it ? The design steps, your receiver, your BOM ? It looks like a LIFT !

1 Like

Fogstar Wholesale bring the price down substantially for the batteries.

Isnā€™t this the Hiorth remoteā€¦

Just checked fogstar thanks

Looks like the Molicel P42 21700 is Ā£4.45 Inc VAT when ordering 120 cells.

Do you think this is ok? I would image they wonā€™t go down anymore.

Yes, the remote control is based on Hiorth

I modified the design so i could use a potentiometer on the trigger, the potentiometer shaft is sealed by an O ring and other joystick parts. The rest of the electronics consist of a hobbyking orangerx diy transmitter module.

For the ppm input into the transmitter module I use an arduino nano using code from the link below slightly modified so I get the full PWM range from the trigger movement.

https://www.ianjohnston.com/index.php/projects/54-project-018-rc-ppm-trainer-port-joystick-v1,

The lid did leak eventually which was my fault from over tightening it. So I modified it with a less aesthetic wide neck bottle top screw lid.

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve really looked at prices recently. But I buy from them because they are reputable and were the cheapest when I build my batteries.

Ever tried PID speed control in ADC mode with a potentiomerer ?
https://vesc-project.com/node/3379

Iā€™m not sure what that is, is it something on a VESC?

Iā€™m using a standard ESC Castle creations HV160

Oups, didnā€™t realise that. Maybe tried by somebody else reading this ?

Though Iā€™d post my efficiency data for my setup.

Iā€™m still using lipoā€™s which makes a 12s 24ah pack but in reality I am getting about 19ah from the pack, this is due to me charging to 4.15v and draining to 3.5v the cells are quite old now as well although they havenā€™t had many cycles (maybe 40)

76kg rider + 24kg efoil

Gong curve MT hydrofoil

Flipsky 65161 120kv with flipsky prop 7.25 x 5 cut down to 140mm

On an efficiency run going 20.5kph for 16.4km

Average Amps 22.86

865 watt hours

52.7 wh/km

1 Like

Itā€™s upgrade time!

Iā€™m finally ditching the 12s 24ah lipos and making a 12s8p Molicel p42 pack.

My first question is, does anybody know if the fish paper/barley paper rings are required on these cells? They seem to have some sort of protection ring anyway.