First rides with Gong YPRA high aspect wing

I have enjoyed my other Gong wings a lot so i wanted to try one of the new Gong “H” wings, sadly all were sold out or on waiting list so (with some doubts) i got the only available alternative: a Gong YPRA wing with >10 aspect made for racing…

I’ve tried it for two sessions now and it’s like doing the first ever efoil runs again, it’s HARD. I’m sure my skills will improve eventually but my main problem is that the wing is totally unstable on straight/neutral direction, it wobbles between the left and right direction. Maybe higher aspect wings have a tendency to ride more like this (?) but to me it’s almost unrideable.

My first theory is that i have either a clearance or too high flex somewhere in my mast or stab which allows the wing to start to “cut” into either left or right direction. I cannot find it and never had any trouble at all with my curve LT wing. Could be that the overall stiffness need to be improved… Everything flexes so easily with the Gong V1 mast.

My second theory is that my stab isn’t matching the wing so that the wobble is provoked. I have a gong curve pro 43cm stab mounted now and it’s obviously got too high lift for the YPRA, i need really high front foot pressure.

What do you guys think, any advice? I need some inputs.

I just had a similar thing happen when trying out a tiny slingshot ptm730 (665 cm^2 730mm span). Took a lot of power to get up and riding, but going straight it wanted to wobble left and right. (Just got the wing for kiting which in the one session I’ve been out it has been great)

I thought I had something loose and switched back to the wingfoil wing phantasm PTM926 (1233cm^2 926mm span). that I’ve been enjoying. No problems and rode solid at speed.

Same stab on both.

I also will use a liquid force happy foil wing (584 cm^2 and 615mm span) for going fast and that also has no problem.

Using a 90cm slingshot aluminum older style mast.

Interesting! Maybe there’s a resonance frequency thing going on, poor combination of stab/wing/fuselage and center of lift offsets.

There might be things i can change, I’ll try one of the other stabs, maybe even upside down.

I also have the v1 mast and recently bought the fluid H (wingfoiling). Upwind is ok, but going downwind feels just like you describe it. The v1 mast is crap in twisting stiffness.
A collegue here just bought the v2 mast, so i’ll be comparing it when i get the chance. But IMO this is the most likely issue.

IMHO, you need a V2 mast (alu or carbon) or a full carbon Tbar like @jeffM is using.

Ypra and V1 Mast is a total no go. I was at the gong facility and talked to the guys directly. They strongly recommend to use carbon mast for Ypra wings. At least a V2 alumast but not the very long ones will do it too. And then you need another stab for sure. The one you are using does not fit at all.
Best would be to get a V2 mast 75cm , or 85. And then grab a pro fuselage and use the recommended
stab PRO VELOCE H. What Ypra are you using? M or L or XL?

That’s good to know, i have ordered a V2 mast setup. If that doesn’t work then i’ll do a carbon overlay on it.

It’s an M size.

the smallest one, and did you order the pro stab too?

No, i’m hoping to get it for christmas :grinning:
Only the veloce H 44 comes in stock before the new year.

I got a veloce stab and gong v2 mast and these mostly removed the neutral wobble issue .

The wing is clearly a bit difficult to ride for me and it’s not my favourite. It’s fast but continues to require too much concentration - and the falls at this speed hurt😀

2 Likes

Thanks. You just saved me a bunch of money and some hard crashes!!:grinning:

I had similar experiences with the same serup this year. Even switching to a larger Stab had little success. In the winter I’m converting my two Efoils to the Gong V2 aluminum mast. My 3rd Efoil already has a Gong V2 CFK mast.

1 Like

It might be a good wing for a racer, but i’m not racing😀

What’’s your favourite foil setup?

2 Likes

Very interested in this topic.

@Larsb your advice to me was to look at the Curve. I chose the 85 V2 aluminum mast with X-over foil instead. I’ve found that it is a very good fit for my board setup, riding style and ability level but am interested in trying something new out for next season.

The YPRA doesn’t sound like something I would enjoy so taking another look at Curve with the thought I could mount it on my existing fuselage (perhaps with a different stab). I’m not wanting to go any faster than my current 25-30kmh but think I would enjoy the ability to carve harder than I can with the X-over or at least try to😀

Not sure if the Curve H is for me.

1 Like

My favorite setup is still Veloce M with the 39cm Veloce Stab

This thread is interesting, I haven’t ridden the YPRA, but I have ridden the Veloce XL and Unifoil Hyper 220 (with an adaptor) with the Gong V1 mast and not had any issues with wobble or flex. Both those wings are bigger than the YPRA too. I did have a solid connection to base and fuselage though so there was zero chance of movement there.

On thing I did notice with my Gong to Lift Mast adaptor was that when the mast to fuselage connection is not solid I got a lot of wobbling left to right and what felt like torsional flex in the mast. However as soon as I fixed this, then the wings felt perfect again and the Lift mast is a noodle compared to other Alu masts…

I am riding the Ypra L for a whole season now. in my opinion all HA wings from Gong can not be driven with the V1 Mast, as long as they have more wingspan than 90-95cm. Then the V1 Mast is not stiff enough, and the riding gets very unstable.
I also have a sirus 156cm wing. This one was unridable on the V2 Mast, I needed to get a HM carbon mast.

That’s why they made the HM masts

I know what you mean, i’ve had to glue both the v1 and v2 top plate to remove play and that gets the v1 setup rideable with the curve and veloce wings for me - but not ypra. I guess it’s a combination with the ypra being super slim and quite flexy in the wing itself, same goes for the stab.

The loss in stiffness from the smaller profile section is impossible to win back with HM carbon on the wing if the difference in profile is high enough.

So my V1 was so tight I had to use a rubber mallet to get them to attach properly which was lucky.
On my Slingshot wings I wrapped packaging tape around the mast and then used a mallet which I found took up the space really well and prevented any movement.
It would be interesting to ride a YPRA, but for the money there are a lot of other wings I’d pick first…