Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

Hi.

Nope. Haven’t had any leaks. The nice thing about having a 1/2 inch of corrosionX in the box is you will see it seeping out if there are any leaks. And if it’s not seeping out, the water isn’t gonna find a way to seep in.

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

Need to test this corrosion x! :blush:

1 Like

Isn’t it a mess mess when you have to change a part? Can you still solder a pcb after removing it from a bath of that stuff? I got some CorrosionX but I’m still reluctant to pour it over my ESC. For the motor I’ll use it, no question.

Hi.

Yes. I understand the apprehension. But trust me. It’s worth it. Look at the guys who’s motor bearings failed at less then 20 hours. If you want things to last in the marine environment, extreme measures must be taken.

It solders just fine. As does soldering through Conformal coating. Not a problem. No need to clean it off. The real mess is the wire corrosion you’ll be dealing with if you don’t solder, conformal coat, butyl rubber seal, and or corrosionX every single connection, and electronic component!

If we were building these electronic devices for operation in the desert, never in water, much less salt water then all these steps wouldn’t be necessary.

When operating in the marine environment many precautions must be taken. I grew up in Hawaii on sailboats. Over the years I have seen first hand how the moisture and salt kills everything.

I share with the community my knowledge. It is your choice whether or not to use these techniques.

3 Likes

I would like to by that stuff too, but not sure which one.

Corrosionx or corrosion xHD?

https://www.amazon.de/CorrosionX-Hochleistungskorrosionsschutz-Rost-stopp-400ml/dp/B01NCEF8FX/ref=pd_lpo_263_img_0/261-9268522-9683606?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01NCEF8FX&pd_rd_r=0269f80c-112b-4edf-8cd0-fa34c2fecce2&pd_rd_w=c6VJB&pd_rd_wg=aRMt2&pf_rd_p=d5c9797d-0238-4119-b220-af4cc3420918&pf_rd_r=EFEYDN9ENJXMZAW0ZQ90&psc=1&refRID=EFEYDN9ENJXMZAW0ZQ90

https://www.amazon.de/CorrosionX-400ml-Hochleistungskorrosionsschutz-Rost-stopp/dp/B01N9C9STU

Hi Torsten,
please do not buy at Amazon and make them bigger and bigger :skull_and_crossbones:
Additionally you can save money:
1x 400ml CorrosionX HD = 18,50 €
1x 400ml CorrosionX = 17,30 €
Nearly all products are cheaper if you buy them directly :+1:
Mike

3 Likes

You can also buy them without aerosol: Corrosion+X+Liquid+250ml+Bottle+With+Trigger+Cx250t for sale online | eBay

The HD is too thick. The red can is the one you want.

The can is useful for spraying plugs and connectors. But, I recommend buying it in the quart or gallon size so you can pour it into the motor, or enclosure.

Not sure what I’m looking at here. But, I like your Infinity 84 foil setup. :sunglasses::call_me_hand:

I followed your lead with corrosionX! I thought it might be reassuring to share this image for @sat_be as I was also apprehensive to spray expensive electronics with any fluid. I decided to hook up the board to my power supply to watch the LED on the VESC. If the corrisionX shorted the board out it surely would have gone out at that moment and given me instant feedback. The LED stayed lit and I sealed the enclosure and the system has worked well. Hope this helps!

Are the antennas inside? :thinking:

I’m going for it! :grimacing: I’m filling my box with corrosion x as well. I’m hoping that with the Vesc swimming in liquid it will help keep the Vesc cool to.
Great tip :+1:.

1 Like

Yes - great signal with remote and bluetooth. I was surprised as well but had discovered this during dry testing. I believe it is due to the rubber gasket gap as the aluminum box should be a faraday cage otherwise.

@pacificmeister actually stood a few feet away from the box and configured some last minute current limits on the VESC from an Android phone.

1 Like

Nice work. What type of corrosionX product did you use? Looks like more of a solid then a liquid in those pictures.

Also, I think you will need to extend your antenna. The pictures show the antenna inside the aluminum box? That didn’t work for me. No signal. Let us know how it turns out. Off to a great start!

No signal issues as mentioned. CorrisionX HD went on as a bubbly viscous liquid from the spray can. Has remained this syrup like consistency. It is very interesting stuff. I had seized the motor bearings and a combination of fresh water flushing and corrosionX freed them and have had another successful session since. As for the tiny screws in the can those I have 3 of 4 due to one stripped head during extraction and they like to back out on their own. I need to add a bit of locktite but not sure what number because they are so easy to strip out. Less easy now that I replaced them with phillips head vs tiny allen key. APS 80100.

I bought also a aluminumcase for my VESC 75/300.
When water came inside the box, I want to be sure that my expensive VESC will be not damaged.

I file the aluminum cooling block beim the VESC that he exactly fit into the case.
Now I think about if I move out the cables for the receivers for metr.at and the remote :thinking:

The top plate from my board will be laminated with CFK. So I am worry about that the signal can be not good…

3 Likes

Are you planning to have the metal surface in contact with the water? If you go the route I did use a more generic bluetooth module and the Vesc Tool app for datalogging. This way you can use the Vesc Tool app to update settings and seal the enclosure with silicone sealant. I have not opened it since due to this telemetry link. I am not sure about metr.at and if you can update VESC settings with their module. I would be interested to know more about it!

I just received my VESC 75/300 but have not had a chance to look at it yet. I am wondering if since it has built in bluetooth you can do both wireless updating of settings as well as metr.at module. Let me know as well!

1 Like

Perfect fitting box for the 75/300, do you mind sharing where you got this from?

No, my case is mounted on a aluminumplate. This plate is on the bottom of my box that is printed and separated in two parts.
The bottom aluminum plate have contact with the water. So my plan is, I not need cooling with a water pump.

It is possible to set all VESC settings with Bluetooth?

A other idea, I not use the aluminum lid but take a plastic one and I can be sure that the signal will be not blocked.