Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

It’s not necessarily about the size of the connector. It’s about the quality of metal used.
I use 5.5mm high quality connectors and pull up to 150 amps at times. They are never hot after foiling for 45mins.

Yes , quality and low IR

They are stainless steel. I sanded them, and checked them with a magnet. The setscrews they come with aren’t stainless though.

:call_me_hand:

Thank you so much for sharing your step by step! I’m following along with my tongue out…

2 Likes

I got a 75/300 VESC!!

It didn’t work out of the box. I had to update the firmware. And you need JST PH 2.0mm connectors.

I still plan to use the Flier ESC. I am ultimately building two e-foil boards, and I think having telemetry will be really helpful with setting up my DIY build and playing with different props and stuff.

3 Likes

And how do I compare the efficiency of the 65150 motor without anything to compare it to? This is a real problem. So I had to come up with a solution!!! :rofl::call_me_hand::beers::desert_island::surfing_man:

Thank you David at @Flying_Rodeo. Your product looks of the highest quality. I can’t wait to test it.

1 Like

That looks exactly like my set up hehe! I’m super excited to try it out! Is that the 7in prop?

1 Like

I don’t know. Does David sell the FR unit with more then one prop type?

Yes! Super excited. I can’t wait to test it out. I don’t have a board yet. Still so much work that needs to be done! :sob::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

May I ask what the thickness of the prop blade is ? I would bet 2mm but need to check with caliper if you can :slight_smile:

I would check but I think it is more like 1.2 mm

The standard prop is 6". So this will be that same prop.

The thickness of the blades is around 1.75mm

1 Like

I will check and get back to you

Thx. I’ll measure and let you guys know.

Super simple electric box! :+1: Is it a good idea, not to use watercooling?

2 Likes

The whole aluminum box is a heatsink. Thermal paste on the back of the VESC. I’m gonna put a few ounces of corrosionX in the box. That will protect against moisture and also help conduct heat and transfer to the box.

These VESCs have thermal protection. If I have a problem I can always add a water cooling plate to the outside bottom of this box.

I’m running 14s14p battery with all 6awg wiring. So, my amps should be much lower then most people’s. But, it’s all trial and error!

Stay tuned! Watch me try to fly, and possibly fail, and try again!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::call_me_hand::desert_island::surfing_man::beers:

I have one here too, that’s why I know what it is :wink:

1 Like

Right on. I’ll let you know if mine is the same. It probably is.

Have you opened your FR motor yet? Im thinking about opening mine and adding some corrosionX.

Do you have any videos of your board flying Jezza?

Nice, so the first action you took on the 600€ VESC 75/300 was cutting the edges off? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks guys for the info ! Much appreciated.

@Flightjunkie : why would you open your motor to waterproof it ? It is 100% waterproof anyway and the stator windings are already covered with epoxy.

1 Like