Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

The whole aluminum box is a heatsink. Thermal paste on the back of the VESC. I’m gonna put a few ounces of corrosionX in the box. That will protect against moisture and also help conduct heat and transfer to the box.

These VESCs have thermal protection. If I have a problem I can always add a water cooling plate to the outside bottom of this box.

I’m running 14s14p battery with all 6awg wiring. So, my amps should be much lower then most people’s. But, it’s all trial and error!

Stay tuned! Watch me try to fly, and possibly fail, and try again!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::call_me_hand::desert_island::surfing_man::beers:

I have one here too, that’s why I know what it is :wink:

1 Like

Right on. I’ll let you know if mine is the same. It probably is.

Have you opened your FR motor yet? Im thinking about opening mine and adding some corrosionX.

Do you have any videos of your board flying Jezza?

Nice, so the first action you took on the 600€ VESC 75/300 was cutting the edges off? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks guys for the info ! Much appreciated.

@Flightjunkie : why would you open your motor to waterproof it ? It is 100% waterproof anyway and the stator windings are already covered with epoxy.

1 Like

The FR motors are solid. They have a history of use with no known problems. I wouldn’t do it. Resist the urge to have a look.
But if you do, photos please :grinning:

1 Like

I has already oil in it, this is no need to open it for that

1 Like

Shim the edge , cut the wires , and flash the firmware :thinking::smile::scream:

1 Like

Yep! Hahahahaah. Talk about voiding a warranty huh?! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey, sometimes when it doesn’t fit you gotta make it fit. Fits like a glove!

:call_me_hand:

I’ve been adding corrosionX to motors and electronics for years. Never had a problem.

It’s added protection against corrosion when inevitably moisture finds its way in. It also lubricates the bearings and seals, and helps with cooling.

Without lubrication the shaft seal will wear a grove in the shaft, and or the rubber seal will wear out faster. Most seals like this are designed to be lubricated from the inside. The water outside does help though. You really shouldn’t run these motors out if the water unless you lubricate the seal.

Just my 2¢

1 Like

I like your style haha :joy:

1 Like

My FR prop is 6" diameter. The blade is tapered. It’s about 4mm in the middle of the blade and it tapers to about 1.0mm on all sides (tip, leading edge, trailing edge).

2 Likes

The FR prop for the 65150 motor is exactly the same size and pitch as the FR prop. Just the hub is modified for the different shaft.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Absolutely legendary effort with the VESC I rate it. I cooked 2 VESC 4.10 by trying to cool them in thermal grease which is apparently not conductive. I do the same thing as you with my VESC and it needs no further cooling. The box just needs contact with outside air or it begins to get hot after 30-45 mins of riding when it’s inside the compartment with a warm battery.

@jakebarnhill1

:sunglasses::metal::beers:

Thx for the info! I’m running a 14s battery. Are you also running 14s? I’m thinking it should run much cooler at 14s then when run on 12s.

It will be in the enclosure next to the battery with no air flow. And I got a 14s14p battery 42Ah. So hoping for hour ride time.

I might need to attach an aluminum water cooling plate to the outside of this aluminum box.

Stay tuned. We’ll find out soon enough!

I’m running 12S. If I had to choose again. I would go 14S. If anything the ESC will run just as hot, if not hotter, than running on 12S, your battery wires will run cooler though :smiley: this is because on 14S you will be pushing the same motor amps as with a 12s pack, but at a lower duty cycle for the same amps if that makes sense. A water cooled heat sink will easily do the job. @Vicdes2 has a really good heat sink he could post a link to. My cooling is in the worst way possible too, because the esc is in the bottom of the alu box, but the lid of the box is touching the air, so it’s the worst thermal path possible and that’s all it needs to keep the temp down when pushing hard so definitely doesn’t need much in terms of cooling!

Looking forward to the final result, it’s coming along very nicely :+1:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure higher voltage means less work for the VESC, and cooler running VESC. But, I’m not an expert with ESCs and VESCs.

Keep you guys updated as things progress! I appreciate you sharing your experience.

It would only be less work for the VESC if you use a lower pitch prop, then it would run cooler :wink:

1 Like

Is there only one plate added on the mast? Or one on each side ?

It will be not easy riding at full speed on 14s with FR motor at first … i think I still never used full throttle ( full voltage ) on 12s , I only used current limitation (80A) and it was like 75% with my wing and skills
Running 14s will give out only a nice voltage left at the end

1 Like