Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

There are lots of plug options out there. These are on the expensive side. And pretty heavy. But, they were easy to waterproof, and the connectors are huge! Fits 6awg wire with room to spare. :beers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06Y5XQQNV?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07DK9VRN1?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

2 Likes

Do you think that 70A enough?

I using at moment awg8

That’s a marine 70a rating. It’s equivalent to over 150amps continuous in my opinion. Castle Creations rates their 8mm bullet connectors at 300amps. That’s ridiculous. But, these bullet connectors are much bigger then 8mm. I can take some measurements for you tomorrow if you want.

1 Like

Yes, please :slight_smile:

I would suggest you size up to 6awg except for the wire in the mast. 8awg is the biggest that usually will fit.

I’ll take some measurements for you tomorrow :call_me_hand:

1 Like

It’s not necessarily about the size of the connector. It’s about the quality of metal used.
I use 5.5mm high quality connectors and pull up to 150 amps at times. They are never hot after foiling for 45mins.

Yes , quality and low IR

They are stainless steel. I sanded them, and checked them with a magnet. The setscrews they come with aren’t stainless though.

:call_me_hand:

Thank you so much for sharing your step by step! I’m following along with my tongue out…

2 Likes

I got a 75/300 VESC!!

It didn’t work out of the box. I had to update the firmware. And you need JST PH 2.0mm connectors.

I still plan to use the Flier ESC. I am ultimately building two e-foil boards, and I think having telemetry will be really helpful with setting up my DIY build and playing with different props and stuff.

3 Likes

And how do I compare the efficiency of the 65150 motor without anything to compare it to? This is a real problem. So I had to come up with a solution!!! :rofl::call_me_hand::beers::desert_island::surfing_man:

Thank you David at @Flying_Rodeo. Your product looks of the highest quality. I can’t wait to test it.

1 Like

That looks exactly like my set up hehe! I’m super excited to try it out! Is that the 7in prop?

1 Like

I don’t know. Does David sell the FR unit with more then one prop type?

Yes! Super excited. I can’t wait to test it out. I don’t have a board yet. Still so much work that needs to be done! :sob::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

May I ask what the thickness of the prop blade is ? I would bet 2mm but need to check with caliper if you can :slight_smile:

I would check but I think it is more like 1.2 mm

The standard prop is 6". So this will be that same prop.

The thickness of the blades is around 1.75mm

1 Like

I will check and get back to you

Thx. I’ll measure and let you guys know.

Super simple electric box! :+1: Is it a good idea, not to use watercooling?

2 Likes