Flightjunkie's first e-foil build

flightjunkie,
Thanks for this fantastic thread. So much good information and photographs. Good to see how much fun you are having. I have a few different wings, slingshot, lift and gong. earlier you said that you didn’t like the space skate. With a kite I found that I could make super sharp banked turns with that wing. Love the 84. I weigh 225 and have a lift 200 and 250, with the smaller stabilizer I can also turn much sharper.
Thanks again and happy foiling

1 Like

Hi.

Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad my build thread helped you out.

I only weigh 155lbs. This might be why I didn’t like the space skate. Way too much lift, and because of that it has too much drag and was pretty slow.

I’ve been meaning to try it on my efoil board, but I love my infinity wings so much (65, 76, 84) I haven’t bothered.

:call_me_hand:

1 Like

Nice video. I imagine that you are just surf foiling when you drop the remote. I notice that your stance is very wide. That seems to work well for carving in both directions. Which remote did you use?

Flightjunkie, Post a video of you with the onewheel and gear headed to the beach. That sounds awesome. I have a one wheel but thought I would use a hand cart with big balloon beach wheels.

1 Like

May i ask the dimension (height) of your battery pack?
Is it 5mm plexi youre using?
Kr and thx very much!!!

1/2" acrylic for sides
3" tall x 14" long
3" tall x 13" long

1/8" acrylic bottom
15" x 13"

.093in Lexan top (do not glue, attached with 1/2" 3M VHB tape)
15" x 13"

Glue
Weld on 4 thin chemical bond
Weld on 16 tube thick glue type secondary seal on inside of seams

See battery build:

1 Like

Hi guys.

Got some stormy wind swell today. Took the e-foil out for a solo mission!

Keep flying my friends!

:desert_island::ocean::surfing_man::call_me_hand:

6 Likes

Great vid, excellent music. Only thing to work on is your choice of unit for velocity.

1 Like

I was anxious your leash went in the propeller during all your videos, especially at times where the propeller is almost at the surface

Been riding for over a year with this leash. Never had an issue. I went with a long leash for safety, more distance from board during whipe outs in the surf. But now that I’m used to it I could get a shorter leash. But, it doesn’t reach the prop. Not yet anyways! :rofl::crossed_fingers:

I had an scary moment when I fell in middle of choppy waters and took a while to swim and catch the board again. I have been thinking about using leash. But I am worried about new risks it can introduce:
1-being close to board while board thumbing and it could hit me hard,
2- leash gets tangled to mast and becomes hard to free myself
3-obvious one that leash gets in to prop

I have been looking in to retractable leash it os expensive and I am not sure of it can reduce any of those risks please let me know what you think

Hi.

When falling you learn to shoot the board away from you. It’s a different technique with a leash. My leash is 10’. The wave is gone, the leash pulls tight just before I surface. This gives me the knowledge that my board is 10’ away, in that direction. I surface, pull the leash, and catch the board. Works pretty good.

With a big wave the pull on the leash is over 100lbs of force. I wouldn’t trust a retractable leash.

I recommend watching some SUP foil surfers. Like Dave Kalama and see what leashes they use. In this video he has a super long calf leash and has the slack attached to his waist, or just looped in his pants. Works good.

Just my opinion. And yes. No matter what you do, there is some danger to foiling in waves.

Be safe out there!

1 Like

May i ask what speed you get out of the 14s battery with the 65161 motor and this wing?
Im doing a similar build and im just getting in chosing a correct motor

Hi.

In my humble opinion the 65161 motor is currently the second best motor behind the Lift / FR motor. I have both.

I recommend the 120kv 65161 motor.

The speed is limited by the foil not the motor. I do 20-25mph with the 65161 motor depending on the foil and the prop.

Good luck with your build!

1 Like

Ok tht sounds promising
Thank you very much for the info

1 Like

I used a retractable leash for kitesurfing, Eel Reel, It functioned well, but wasn’t needed and overpriced. Worst off it failed after a year $60 gone. They are also bulky! They attach fine to a kitesurfing harness but I don’t know where you would put it just efoiling? A normal leash would have worked fine.

1 Like

Hi guys,

Had a nice glassy ride this morning. Thought I’d share the stoke. I’m still flying on the high.

:sunrise::desert_island::ocean::surfing_man::call_me_hand:

12 Likes

Flightjunkie! So cool when you catch the wave and drop the mike, I mean remote, and just foil surf. Got to get out and do that! :surfing_man: :+1:

1 Like

Great vid!!! Which prop and wing set were you riding for this one? Looks like that setup would be perfect for hijacking boat wakes too.

1 Like

Nice ride and choice of music, almost like David Gilmour:) :+1:

1 Like