Flipsky 65150 160KV motor+esc combo

That question is quite easy to answer if you know what you gonna aim for.
The 65121 is a nice and light motor that produces enough power for me (85kg) to go 30 km/h. It needs a lower pitch propeller to get started, hence the reduced top speed.
And it doesn’t have the power of 65161, so if your aim is to go fast you would have to choose the 65161 cause you can easily run higher pitch props on it to have higher top speed.
So to sum up it’s either light and more affordable setup with 65121, or more torque and higher top speed with 65161.

2 Likes

You seem to be focused ONLY on the motor choice.

You have yet to indicate your use case so you may be getting feedback that although accurate may not be a best match to how you are going to foil.

You mentioned earlier you intend to use a 120l board and a 1800 foil That’s a pretty big rig even for full efoil in flat water - probably way oversized for foil assist in waves.

I don’t think many use a 65161 in a foil assist mode as it’s heavier than the motors typically used for that.

Bear in mind that you should match the motor to vesc, battery size, foil size and shape and board size and shape😀

Hi, yes, thanks for correcting and reminding me. So it is going to be a full efoil, not an assist, while the 1800, (or maybe it’s 1600, I have to check) is a beginner foil which I have availabile to use, I have foiled on way smaller foils and will be upgrading this one to smaller and faster wings. I am focusing on the motor since this is the thing that provides the power, and I will build around it, currently in the stages of figuring out what battery I will use. I am almost sure that I will do a 65161+75200+VX3 directly from flipsky, homebuilt battery, have found a very nice video explaining just that on here, while I have found that this motor is obviously very power demanding, so will need to decide which one I will pick, I do see the added flexibility in the 65161 because I can always limit it to basically act like a 121. Thanks for all the help, please do correct me if you think my mindset is somehow flawed hehe.

If you are going efoil your 65161 kit from flipsky is a good choice. I have 2 full setups now and they work great. On 12s I can go over 40kmh and happy cruise at 30.

Glad to hear are continuing to read here. Lots of skilled builders have documented their success and failure so the knowledge is here for the taking😀. Search mode is very useful in finding specific answers.

Seems like your plan is taking shape. Before you go much further I suggest you come up with how you are going to mount the battery and vesc as they they require a “dry” ride😉

For sure, every time I read literally anything on here impresses me what this community does for each other, not many like this out there! So yeah, mounting the battery and vesc, I thought about mounting them in a pelican case on the board. Right now I am still considering actually implementing the water cooled vesc, I have the gong v2 alu mast which is hollow so I can fit the hosing in there (which would be a small hose anyways) but I have to research that a little more, didn’t search for it on this form yet. Now I would like your advice on where to put that case, in the front? the back? Thanks for all the help.

1 Like

One issue with this combo for an efoil is the 1m+ of power cable going from the battery to the ESC. Usually you want the battery and ESC as close as possible to prevent damage to the ESC

Quite a cool idea, but I would keep everything seperate, especially for a first build.

1 Like

Yes I have ruled the 65150 out, perhaps I should open up a new topic?

There are several threads on water cooling here. On my first build I went with ram (no pump) water cooling to a Flipsky 75200 Vesc. I had a waterproof box with the battery and the vesc inside, the box was strapped to the top of the board at the rear (to keep wires as short as possible) The motor wires and cooling line were external to the mast.

Although this was an interesting learning experience I had a lot of trouble learning to foil and doing maintenance due to minor water intrusion inside the box.

I saw the light and replicated the builds here that use a Fliteboard that has a waterproof hatch. The vesc is mounted on the top of the mastplate and is cooled by the large mass of metal and the water surrounding the mast

HI, very interesting, so did the water get in by water cooling or just water intrusion in the box, also is there a problem by cooling the vesc with seawater? But generally I am aiming for a similar build like yours (the first one). I already know how to wingfoil so I hope it will be a little better in that way.

I am in fresh water but no problem with seawater but a good practice to flush with fresh after each session.

The leaks I had were all minor and didn’t cause damage. Some were caused by me over tightening retention straps and deforming the area of the seal of the box, others were glands leaking where they attached to the box etc. They all required me to “fix” them though and since I moved to the Fliteboard based platform I just ride😀

There are a lot of really good foil assist builds here that should be helpful

Absolutely, thanks for the answers, this community has helped me a big lot already.