Flipsky 7070 "waterproof" motor, no coating on magnets issue

Hi,

Hi, I bought three Flipsky 7070 “waterproof” motors to test them as a prototype for a faux drive assist project. I’m very happy in terms of performance, but I have big questions about the durability of the motor for use in salt water.
Stator seems to be well coated with epoxy.
The stator magnets seem to me to be unprotected (no coat at all, which will inevitably lead to rust and deterioration of the motor over time ? )

(only 10 sessions in the sea, rinsed with a lot a fresh water after each use)

what solution can you propose?

Thanks,

That motor can hardly be saved, once the magnets have started to go crumbly there seems to be no stopping the corrosion long term. I’ve had a few die from magnet corrosion since i used outrunners for winter ebiking in Sweden, it’s like a continuous salt spray test here.

What you can do is to gently remove any crumbly rust and then try a rust remover just on the worst spots, after that give it 2 thin coats of epoxy.

How long is the stator steel stack on this motor and what is the stator diameter, can you measure?

1 Like

I have been thinking about using this motor. I thought I should check here to see what others have found out about this waterproof 7070. I’m not put off much by what I see here. If I get one, I would get the ceramic bearing option. I would plan to coat the magnets with the best option - as people are doing their 6374 and 6384 motors for DIY FD Assists. For salt water, would treat it just like Foil Drive owners do, remove the circlip and leave it off. Hopefully, there is no problem doing that. Pull the rotor off after each use and rinse the rotor, dry it off, spray with lanolyn or whatever is best, leave it off to dry out until next use. Rinse the stator with fresh water. Put the rotor on slowly and carefully so as not to hammer the bearings before use. All that worked very well with my FDA+. Hopefully, you might be able to follow this and get many years of use from your motors 2 and 3.

1 Like