Flipsky VX3 PPM train

Has anyone got an output of the VX3 PPM train?

I am feeding it into an interrupt pin in my board controller and can’t read it.

I’d be interested to know how many channels it is sending and what the dead band between strings is.

OR…

If anyone has written Arduino code to read it, I’d love to see it.

Thanks.

1 Like

So, I put it on the logic analyser at work.

Flipsky PPM is actually perfect PWM at 50hz 1000 to 2000 micro seconds, BUT at 3.3V. So, hoping it is the voltage that is the issue.

1 Like

Would it not be best to use the UART coming off the receiver? This usually goes into a vesc so you can use the vesc ardunio library to see what everything means.

I have twin VESCs so am using the two available hardware UARTs to communicate with them. There are a few examples of code to communicate with VESCs (which I am doing) , but have not seen any code to communicate with the remote. Yeah, should be very similar, but it does not appear to be that easy.

You could be more lucky on an electronics dedicated forum (Arduino, …) or esk8…

I’m not an expert at this, but you could connect to one VESC via UART and then connect that VESC directly to the second VESC using CAN.

That would free up a UART port on your ardunio and make the wirings simpler as well.

It is really easy, pretty much automatic, to use CAN to connect the VESCs.
Use UART as input on one of the VESCs and have the VESCs connected together with CAN at setup.
Also, CAN only needs 2 wires. the high and the low… not even ground.

I have it working. The issue was the 3.3V was not enough to reliably trigger an interrupt function, so I used a level shifter and all is now good.

I have two jets, two motors and two batteries. I wanted to communicate directly with the VX3 receiver so that I could display the data alternatively from each battery and VESC.

I had the Maycrap remote, but it was completely unreliable. The good thing wth it was that it killed the PWM stream when teh remote was disconnected from the receiver so you could detect los of comms. The Flipsky VX3 just goes to 1ms pulse (idle) when it disconnects, so you can’t detect it.

All good. Thank you all.