Foil Drive Assist, DIY

I like that 3 blade foldy. Is there a file you can share? How much did it cost to have that done?

Unfortunately, I can’t, this is not my photo. And I don’t like this propeller because the Chinese found the blade model on the Internet and started installing it without thinking. This is what their base looks like). I published the photo only as an example.

4 Likes

They look very nice and clean, I was sending my files for cnc, but was more expensive then made them from steel, so I did that

Wow, these must be heavy.

THANK YOU @okp … the lead on the matek bec to power up the receiver with 5V saved me so much heart ache with the Flycolor FlyDragon 150A…
Before I mess it up can you point me to a simple wiring diagram for the the BEC?
Building a 12s3P and using a flipsky vx3 remote/receiver and came up one wire short…Gen2 faux drive

Is that alu stock? Thinking similar design with 12s3p 1st build and still in early stages. Was debating if a sealed 3d print over the pack could be sealed and fit in there perfectly. I’ll look for updates on your design

thanks! but credits are for my friend @Etiennebzh who discovered the HV3 & the Mate BEC !

It’s super easy. The BEC acts like a voltage reducer. You wire the GND & 5VIN from the ESC (battery side) and you wire the 5V OUTPUT to the receiver. You must absolutely verify that output of the BEC is 5V with a multimeter.

Quick photos of my Faux Drive included in the board

9 Likes

Yes, the aluminum tube is stock 80x50x2.

I’m working currently on a 3D printed 12s3p 2 rows battery spacer frame.

Then I will work on a cover on each side of the aluminum tube. The plan is gluing a TPU frame to the tube and pressing the cover against it using a strap. The door will include a waterproof connector to the motor.

Though the tube box will be waterproof, I am still sealing the battery and potting the electronics.

2 Likes

Hi @rttn & @seagull_nz
Love the print. I’m on thinkverse and only see one file. Can you point me to the .stl for the handle? TY

Such a clean builds. Question since it looks like you’ve done both and you know how to pump… What rides better back pack or inside the board ? I was shooting for the FDgen2 but after seeing some rides I could easily make the case for building it into a vest/backpack to keep the board free.
I’ve been making all kinds of boards forever so that’s not an issue, still I like the idea of light underfoot.

1 Like

well, @Etiennebzh loves the backpack option and he went very far in improving it. On my side, I like it a lot but I wanted to have a single board / mast dedicated to surf foiling. If you have many masts … go backpack… if you can make yourself your own board… integrate box is super cool.

It is very nice to pump in both options.

2 Likes

Beautiful build. Are there any details about your box? Is this 3D printing?

thanks mate! I’ve all the photo and build log, just need to create the topic post.

I wanted to avoid issues with water leak; so I used our Faux Drive box but kept it only for the battery. Below, this is what you are looking after

hope it helps!

6 Likes

@tosh.jah
Hello mate,
Ive been toying with the idea of that size Bopla box but was unsure what could actually fit in it. Im going to put two 6s2p batteries in series in to one i think. What ESC are you using?..is it’ll the Flycolour H cross vx3??..have you had any cooling issues?..i was kind of hoping that Ali box would be one massive sink.
Many thanks.
Mark

Great design - looks fantastic!

Is this 3D printed - what material?

Why have you chosen not to put batteries in there too?

1 Like

Hey Mark,
I’m very happy with the aluminium box.
It also acts as a massive heat sink so haven’t had any issues, even using full power over extended periods.

The exact box that I’m using fits 12s2p pretty well, but wouldn’t accommodate another p row.
If you’re planning on going two times 6s2p it’s gonna fit.

Bopla produces those boxes in all kinds of sizes so it’s worth checking out if you’re looking for something smaller or bigger:

I’m using flycolor 150A esc. It’s very simple and reliable, never had one failing.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIBHAu9

2 Likes

@tosh.jah …excellent…thank you…that solves alot of problems…the box is the single biggest restriction to a tidy solution!! …lol

2 Likes

thanks mate. PA12 MJF.

I went the easy way. I know my box is waterproof and I wanted full space for my battery packs. I just decided to only put the battery in the box and get the other core components above the mast. The controller runs super efficiently and no signal problems.

It’s also very handy on the spot.

Thanks for that. What printer do you use?
Any chance you could share your cad model… I wouldn’t mind trying to make it taller and house the batteries??
Could you also post a photo of where your batteries are hidden?

@tosh.jah …would a 2x 6s2p fit in this box side by side with the the battery’s length side up ??.. in short, 71mm (length of battery) instead of the battery diameter of 21 mm (x3) as you’ve gone with your setup. The internal.measurement of the Bopla box you’ve used is 82mm from bottom of box to inside of lid and it seems like this pack configuration would work also.

What you think?

Cheers
Marks

1 Like