Foil Drive Assist, DIY

this one https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005556443518.html

buy a matek bec to power up the receiver with 5V and you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

it’s good to see a garage company maturing into business.

I wish I could be a good CAO engineer and make a waterproof enclosure like they did (or different with screws)… but I’m lazy and not a good engineer!

I just had a feeling they had copied the coffin drive…

I am a bit more blown away on the length of the unit though and not convinced that front pod is going to hold up over time…

Price is very high for what it is as well.

I’m assuming they are running 10s now with their 40v operating voltage.

yes, I expect at least the following reactions:

• I have already my foil assist plus that I paid a lot … how can I upgrade : no you can’t !
  • It’s pricey for what it is : well, yes but they have a niche market totally unexplored, so they are now setting the price for the end customer, going mainstream. Having a product deployed at scale is super costly because you are actually building your supply chain.
  • they copied a lot of what is already there : yes, but it’s still innovation and they bring it to market.

Overall, compared to our DIY non VESC version, our system is WAY more stronger but we are builders.

They will be running 1S (slim version) likely for plane regulations at 166wh … likely 13S1P but also some 2P versions.

1 Like

The max has both 2P and 3P versions. Slim is definitely 1P.

28v at nominal is 3.5 per cell. But 40v doesn’t fit anywhere. 12S would be my bet for the max. That would give them full efoil with the biggest battery.

They really could have chosen a better connector too…

It does beg an interesting idea… Could a couple good DIY guys get together and create an efficient enough supply chain to take something to market…

2 Likes

you are spot on mate.

A giveaway in the battery model number, 11S @3.6V. They also have the ‘Slim endurance’ at 8S2P 28.8V while the slim performance is 11S1P. So these units can run off 28.8V or 39.6V.

1 Like

rcjetman has come a long way with his idea and product. I just watched their video and its actually incredibly well executed! Every component waterproof even if the case leaks. Using the board to tie into the antenna and create a better signal. If it wasn’t as expensive, I’d probably buy one :rofl:

2 Likes

How do they get it to work on 1p? I don’t see it possible, at 3kW 11s it’s 75A on one cell.

They change the VESC setting and limit the current from the app. It’s actually very clever.
Purely designed for the best foilers in wave situations.

One big question… How are they getting away with an XT90i connector and no antispark on an 11S battery?

as far as I know, the connectors are all XT60.

They use the board as a quasi antenna and same V2 remote - so they said in the video on their channel.

Even if it is possible, what happens when the board is a sinker? So if the front of the board is above the water - it provides enough reception ??

Would somebody with a RF knowledge explains how it is possible - to use a non conductive object as an antenna?

Maybe a built in anti spark switch into the speed controller. I assume it’s all custom inside now vesc included.

When the motor is gone, the user will pay $760
:exploding_head:

Cable is fixed length, so only one position on the mast per motor…

MR60 connector waterproofing - silicone gasket, cover and screws

Not entirely buying that. If you look at the top of the case there’s nothing that would conduct onto a board. I assume they have a large antenna on the lid which just has way better reception.

Found a super interesting article for anyone DIY’ing related to foil drive: Gaining Speed: Foil Drive Surfs Into Production on the Form 3L and Fuse Series | Formlabs

5 Likes

Ok, then not actually something new, just a setting and less power for starts? I’d guess it’s not a throttle start either, more a pump assisted.

Yeah, just a true assist for guys that might need a subtle boost.

Actually the new foil drive assist max is just a better customized idea of the drive assist ideas made here. Those selaed boxes on top of the mast have been posted already 2020, Everyone knows the motor and the Maytech remote…In my opinion this new foil drive assist is well done but the problem will be their price of more than 5300€ +custom taxes… At that price you get already good efoils like the Sifly Rider or waydoo Flyer.
But that brings big potential for us DIY… We know how it`s done and we know it will work great… The most difficult thing for us is to get such a coffin drive alloy housing… if this is available we can have a foil assist below 2000$…maybe by group buy or crowd funding? Anyone has a good source to do such housings?

1 Like