Foil drive battery

I have read a lot about guys building their own battery packs so hoping for some help.
I have a foil drive and am having new batteries built.
Can someone please tell me the discharge rate of the standard 28.8volt packs and the peak they need to be for a foil drive.

3kW for starts, 1-1.5 kW for riding are common numbers.

You don’t have a lot of choice regarding cells because it’s a lot of power for small batteries.

Molicel p42a
Molicel p45b
Samsung 50T
Samsung 40T maybe…

Not sure it’s possible but it’s better to use the 2x 6S2P serie architecture to gain efficiency = 24 cells like a 8S3P.

Personally, when I swapped from 8S to 12S, I really discovered new possibilities and the autonomy is the same.

2 Likes

Will any BMS talk to the foil drive remote to show battery life?

Any BMS will work, FD only look at voltage for battery state of charge

Will these cells work for the battery?

Building a battery is a risky and complicated project. Lots of research and understanding of assembly techniques is required.

The batteries you linked to are 18650s - 18mm diameter and 65mm long. A foil drive battery uses 2170 cells (21 mm diameter and 70mm long). Molicels are the best brand to use for the application.

Start watching a few youtube videos on pack building to get a more of a base level understanding of what is involved.

Agree :+1:
One thing: don’t risk getting robbed by getting cells or a pack from an unknown seller. Buy from the proven sellers, like nkon.nl in Europe.

1 Like

Hi Sharky

Can you tell me where you are getting the battery built? I am keen to find someone to build one for me. Not interested in building one myself.

I am waiting for them to arrive.
Once I know they work I will let you know

Does anyone know the discharge rate of the foil drive battery?
My packs will be 45A, is that sufficient?

Depends on how many cells in series. 12s=44V45A is on the low side
14s is probably ok.

They have an app which you configure the unit to which battery you are using and that changes the current draw.

I think on the Max battery they run a max of ±65A on boost and then it scales back to about ±35A.
On the slim that would be less I assume as it runs smaller packs.

1 Like